The power went out for 16 hours. This is not what I expected to happen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gale65, Jun 5, 2011.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Last night around 1 am the power went out. It was fairly cool out then-in the low 70s. A couple of hours later I went and checked on the chicks (10 days old) and it was about 70 in there and they were running around, not lying together. A while later it had cooled down a lot and I was worried about them so I rigged up the most ridiculous chick heater you can imagine. I took a small cardboard box, wrapped a thermacare heat wrap around it (had to tape it on because it was too small to reach all the way around) and then put it on an old sheet, wrapped it up (so they didn't peck on the heatwrap and also in case it was too hot to touch) and gathered up the excess at the top, tied it with another strip of the sheet, and trimmed the excess. All by candlelight and flashlight. It was pretty pathetic. I put that in the brooder near where they normally lay to get warm. At the time I put it in, the temp in the coop was about 65 and they were still running around, eating, drinking etc. Not piling up at all (there was light in there via the battery lantern). I really expected that at 65 degrees they would be lying all together trying to get warm. This morning dh went and checked them and it was still cool out (he didn't check the temp in the coop) and they were all lying/walking around and not piling up.

Our power finally came back on about 5 pm today. The funny thing is, we didn't get any bad storms where I live but there were some about 10 miles north so I guess that's why it took so long-there were a lot of other outages. As a germaphobe I tend to really freak out when the power is out and we can't wash hands and this one was worse-the longest I remember it being out since my 14 yo was a baby.

2. cochicks

cochicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    I'm glad the babes were okay! [​IMG]

3. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    Don't worry you did fine..I usually have the hand warmers on hand...you know the ones for hunting...you squeese to release heat...put into a towel and lay down into brooder then cover brooder with nother towel..it usually takes care of the heat issue..Plus take in mind the age of chicks...But sounds like you did fine....chicken momma...LOL

4. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    I forgot to say---you know "they" say 95 degrees to satrt and then minus 5 degrees a week after that...my chicks NEVER started at that...Just listen to your chicks they will tell you and you can tell...Huddle more heat...spread out less heat...I did'nt belive it at first but got it after only few days...they REALLY DID TELL ME...YOU WILL KNOW AND HEAR IT>>> LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by