1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The pre-egg song?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by navasima, Oct 24, 2011.

1. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    I brought home a 1 year old Samo/sex link cross today. She was with rather (ahem) overzealous roosters and as a result looks alot like a Skeksis (sp? Dark Crystal...). Anyway.....she was bawking around and fussing - just like my Leghorn before she lays - she picked out "her" nest box and got all ready, bedding on her back and all, sat there for about 10 min. and came out of the box bawking up a storm!...nothing....she got back in the box a minute later, jumped out a minute after that - totally quiet - and there was a nice, large, light brown egg. So - a pre-egg song, but not post egg? Is this just the norm for some hens?
    Thanks for any input...

2. Beaker Duck

Beaker Duck BYC's CUTE Travelling Mascot

Jul 22, 2011
    All Over
    Yep, for some that is normal. Each chicken is totoally different- some don't sing the egg song, as they find it a boring chore. Others make a bigg fuss so that the others can hear because they want the others to STAY AWAY (LOL). And then you have those that need an audience, because they are drama queens. If they stat singing the egg song, and the others don't come running, they will go back out and find the others, and demand they come watch!
    And then there are the ones that sing like they are laying a double yolker-- and it's all a false alarm!

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
  4. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    My leghorn always sings before and after. My barred rock, never makes a sound at all.

Deb

5. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Just like Deb said. I have one girl who could alert the whole valley with her production, pre- and post-, but two of my EE's never make a "peep."

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I cannot always tell if the "call" is fear, nervousness, an intruder alert, sense of abandonment, "get out of the box, I need to use it", or egg laying related.

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I only have EEs laying and they sound like children are being tortured most of the time. It's not really an egg song, more like an opera with an egg somewhere in it.

8. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Fred's Hens :

I cannot always tell if the "call" is fear, nervousness, an intruder alert, sense of abandonment, "get out of the box, I need to use it", or egg laying related.

x2 and [​IMG] so true​

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  9. 9Catsz

9Catsz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Southeastern Missouri
    Quote:LOLOLOL! [​IMG][​IMG]

10. daver

daver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Linden, NC
    Fred's Hens :

I can't tell either, however Sunday morning the whole flock was going off and it sounded like the danger signal. W ent out, walked around the pen, nothing. Went in and checked the coop, nothing.

Later, heard it again. Went out to check. One hen on the single nest, two waiting in line and the rest in the run, all singing the egg song.

This went on for three hours, sheesh, such drama.

Dave​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by