1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The Price Of DE.....Is It Always This Expensive???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TwoCrows, Jul 6, 2011.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I wasn't sure where this topic belonged, thinking maybe since DE is used quite a bit around the coop and such that it would fit in this section. But I went to my local feed store for a few things today, and a bag of DE caught my eye. I have never used it before, but after reading so much about it on the forums here, I thought I would give it a try.

It cost me $32.95 for a 4 pound bag!! [​IMG] I guess I had better use it sparingly. What all is DE good for? I was planning on using it to dust the floor of the coop, nest boxes and dust bathing areas. It is also pet grade and can be put in their food.

Anyway, what all are you paying for this stuff? You would think it was as valuable as gold!! [​IMG]

2. VI KING RANCH

VI KING RANCH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Campbell River
    At my feedstore it only costs me $19.95 for a 50 fifty pound bag [​IMG] although I am in Canada [​IMG]

3. JamesInCorona

JamesInCorona Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2010
    Corona, Ca
    Sounds pretty expensive...
    We recently got a 50lb bag of food grade (it has to say 'Codex' on the bag) for $55 with tax...at a local pet store.
    Oh, and food grade DE wasn't easy to find here in So Cali either...most places just looked at us like we were nuts...LOL

4. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I got 50# of DE through Azure Standard for twenty-some dollars, including shipping.

Have you used any of yours yet? Can you return it for a refund?

5. VelvettFog

VelvettFog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    Only buy DE if you need it. Not because someone else uses it.

6. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    50#s here goes for ~$28. Maybe you should ask if they carry the big bags.

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:Is this through ups shipping? Or with the drop point? With the drop point it looks like a $50 minimum order.

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Thanks for all your information. So I guess I am getting ripped off!! [​IMG] And unfortunately I HAVE opened the bag. I live in a very rural area and am lucky to even have a feed store around. (Not TSC). So the prices of some stuff is expensive. I like their hay, it is always clean and fresh and is cheap to buy. And their chicken feed is of the highest quality.

Well, I will use this bag and then maybe go on line to find a cheaper source.

Thanks again all. [​IMG]

9. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    I pay approximate - $15 for a 50 lb. bag. I prefer Purina to So States. Are you buying medicated feed? Sometimes larger quantities pay for themselves. My 50 lb. bag fits in a Rubbermaid container nicely.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  10. ginnyj

ginnyj Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Central Florida
    I had the same experience. Bought 5 lbs of DE at the Feedstore for $15. Then saw it on Amazon for much less.

Ginny

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by