The price of fertilized eggs? Are you kidding me!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 10chicks, Sep 2, 2008.

1. 10chicks

10chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Ok I don't get it- I just gave my SIL some eggs from my Brahmas and she was thrilled! She said they kept her from feeling hungry all day. ( I wish I had that luck) She then told me that when she goes to the health food store they charge extra for "fertilized" eggs- WHAT!!!!!!! I thought that fertilized eggs aren't any different excepted you can hatch a fertilized egg? Is there something I missed or are the customers getting hosed??? I think I'll start selling my "Fertilized" eggs soon [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They're getting hosed. Well, actually, I remember in the 70's that many health gurus were pushing fertilized eggs as better for you, some "life force" thing. They are the same, nutritionally, as unfertilized ones.

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Hmmmm maybe they let them develope a bit and you have an egg and chicken in one meal?
    I'm sorry,,,,, I couldn't help myself....

4. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    We know of some people who swear they sell their eggs as "fertilized eggs" in a specialty market. They get $2 to $5 more per dozen than as "eggs", depending on the size of the eggs.

Fertile, NOT developed.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by