The price of horse (or other large animal) euthanasia

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Orchid, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    I see a number of people post here and on other forums regarding what it costs to own a horse. Having recently had to put one down, I thought it would be informative if people posted prices and disposal options in their part of the country/world. It's a subject no one really wants to think, talk about or plan for, but as an owner it's a necessity.

The vet call and euthanasia drugs were $160. We have property and no county restrictions on burials, so a friend/neighbor came over with his backhoe for the burial, which cost $50. However if it had been the dead of winter when the ground is frozen solid we would have had to pay the rendering truck for pickup.

The cost to my heart was far beyond the monetary, but that's another topic.

Friends from around the US have told me prices varying from $100 to well over $1000 just for disposal.

What are prices like in your area?

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I had a rescue horse that was adopted (free) by a family that knew about his foot issues and had experience in that area. After some time he started to decline, the original farrier had said one thing but I wanted my vets opinion. I sent him out and after he looked at the horse called me and told me it would be best to put him down. Such a shame, he was a big beautiful QH with looks to die for if only someone had taken care of his feet........... anyhow it was $90 for vet & euthanasia and the people buried him on their property. I saw an add on CL for tractor animal burial was $60. I have an older gelding that I have had since he was 3 and when he goes I am going to be beside myself, as he is one of a kind... but I do mentally prepare by looking into these things..... thank you for bringing this topic up.

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I have laid two to rest in the past 4 years.

Each cost under $150 for the vet, and we were able to rent a backhoe to bury on our property. (our tractor backhoe just does not have a long enough reach for the depth that we bury a horse)

The folks who run the large equipment rental are horse lovers and rent at a discount for burial - only the cost of delivery which is about $100. (we live a far drive from the rental place)

4. Orchid

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Isn't it nice when people are compassionate like the backhoe rental place? [​IMG]

5. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    So sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

6. Orchid

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Thanks. [​IMG]

7. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    I just lost my beautiful old man July 2010 when we had to have him Euthanized because of a Keratoma cancer in his hoof. after 2 surgeries to remove it, we were heart broken to find that It had spred throught the hoof and there was no way to get rid of it at that point.. Our horses are on a vet's property so Euthanasia and burrial was free, the equipment to dig the hole was free to use courtesy of my father's work where he's survice manager.. before my dad got the okay to use the equipment, we use to have a neighbor come in an dig the hole for $50 and "Doc" said euthansia for my friend's mare would have been $100... so over all looking at $150

RIP Goldie "My old man" [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He survived a trailer wreck.. West Nile Virus in 2001... I really thought he was super horse....

[​IMG]

Okay Im getting carried away.. sorry... [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. HorseFeatherz NV

Quote:Yes it really is. Course the first time it made me cry.......finding people who were compassionate.

[​IMG] for your heart.........it can take ages it seem like to recover. In 2007 we helped my 30 year old Arabian mare cross over. We were together for 28 years and I still find a piece of myself missing.

While I do have her daughter, foaled in 1985 - her daughter is her own being and not much like her mom at all. [​IMG]

9. HorseFeatherz NV

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Orchid

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Quote:Aw, I'm sorry to hear that. [​IMG]

I had my old man for nearly 22 years. He was an important part of the family. His best buddy passed away on May 8, 2009 at the age of 34 so I am sure they were happy to be together again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by