The prodigal daughter is home!!!! :)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    One of our original layers...Arnold...(yep, we thought sure she was a he in the beginning)...went missing when everyone else went into the coop yesterday evening. It was only about 20 degrees last night and we didn't hold out a lot of hope for her....but...she just showed up!! A little tattered and her comb was pale but all in one piece. She must have gone too far into the woods behind our house yesterday and dark fell before she could make it back.

We're so grateful that she's back!! [​IMG]

Do many of you have this happen much?

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    My coop is on the edge of the woods, and sometimes one will disappear. I search all over, but they are usually so far up a tree that I have to leave them overnight. I had one that disappeared for 3 days, then came back as if "What, I just went for a little walk..... " [​IMG]

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I know your heart was lifted once you saw her back! I love happy endings! [​IMG]

I have had this happen twice and it is quite nerve wracking.

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I have fields on all four sides of me. When we had crops up they would venture deep in the field and get lost. Some would make it out others would scream till you found them.

5. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Quote:Thank goodness no! My heart wouldnt be able to take it if one of my girls didnt come home. Bad enough when the cat pulls that stunt.

I am going to be a mess when my daughter gets older.[​IMG]

6. HenniePennie

HenniePennie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2007
    Oregon
    When my 2 aracaunas were about 4 months old they weren't going into the hen house at night. I thought maybe a hawk had gotten them. But no, in the morning I saw them jump out of the cedar trees just outside the run. The darn stinkers had decided to roost in the cedars instead of with the other girls in the hen house!!
    Sometimes the girls just have to do their own thinking!! Gotta love 'em though!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by