The Project Begins...(pic heavy) update: new pics

Buster

Back to Work
12 Years
Jan 4, 2008
The Frozen Wasteland of Idaho
Well, the crew is coming to tear out the carpeting, ceiling and walls today in my sunroom. I had a leak in a poorly designed roof to an addition to my house. It was here when I bought the place. So insurance will cover the water damage, but I have to pay for the roof to be re-designed and built, so any input will be appreciated on what I can do. I will keep this thread updated with pics as the project continues.

sunroom1.jpg

sunroom3.jpg

sunroom4.jpg

sunroom5.jpg

sunroom6.jpg

sunroom7.jpg

sunroom8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I worked with an elderly lady who had a greenhouse attached in this same way! Every time it rained the roof leaked like crazy. I called a crew out to gutter the main house so that the water coming off the main roof was directed away from the greenhouse/sunroom. Then the glass roofing panels were all resealed and she never had another problem.

I would have gutters installed, have that sunroom roof removed and insulate the main roof better and the new roof really well. It looks like a metal roof and if that is the case you may need to caulk/seal each seam and nail/screw hole. Good luck. Dixie

Lots like the same nimrods that did mine did yours.

We had 2 huge windows and a skylight which leaked like a sieve.

It caused the whole ceiling to fall in back in 02 and insurance paid for it. We had carpenters ants galore, and hornets too. blech

The skylight was so well put in that it wasn't bolted in or anything, just ducttaped in.

The floor will be wet and the padding under that carpet. Tear it out now while insurance is paying for it or tear it out later and have to pay for the floor and flooring yourself. I bet it will start to stink when warm weather comes.

I agree -- take the carpet out. Carpets collect nasty stuff under them that a vacuum cleaner can't suck up and then if it gets wet it'll be really really gross. At the very least take it up, clean both the carpet and the subfloor and then re-install it with new padding. At that point though, you might as well get a new carpet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom