1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The pullets don't play golf but . . .

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by digitS', Oct 24, 2008.

1. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I put a "nest egg" in the box this morning.

The "nest egg" deserves quotation marks since it isn't an egg or even egg-shaped. It's a golf ball - - in fact, there are 3 golf balls. The pullets may be confused . . . the golf balls are white (I threw the red one away). They are brown egg laying Barred Rocks and Australorps.

The pullets were 20 weeks old this week and one looks like she may lay soon. I've used store-bought eggs before but with this economy . . . . (Caution! drifting Off Topic Here!! :eek:)

The golf balls are from my large veggie garden. Yes, I grow egg plants. No, those have all been made into Eggplant Parmesan and such. The golf balls came from the neighbor's house.

That house used to be the largest in the neighborhood but then some "McMansions" got built across the road from it, along the river. Messed up some nice alfalfa fields . . . one guy over there sprays Round-up on his 4 acre field - - every year [​IMG]!! I guess he prefers to look at bare ground and rocks than anything green. Another guy's horses are waaaaaay too crowded onto his pasture . . . he may as well spray Round-up. Fortunately, these "fields" are downhill at enuf of an angle from my veggies that I don't need to look at 'em. Wouldn't mind "overlooking" the McMansions to the trees along the river but I can't have everything.

The people who own the house just next door, with the deck that overlooks MY garden, were in Europe in 'o6 & 'o7. They turned their "previously largest house in the neighborhood" over to a young couple from their church. I say "from their church" since I couldn't detect much activity off the property for these young folks and assume that their church attendance amounted to the most significant role and work (I'm giving up on the quotation marks [​IMG]) they are up to. The golf balls in my garden may indicate I'm partly wrong here.

I did talk to these young people a fair amount over the 2 years they house-sat The young woman, especially, was around quite a bit and must have been bored enuf to talk over the garden fence with the old guy leaning on the hoe (that'd be me [​IMG]). She was a stay-at-home housewife but she told me that her hubby was a writer for the local newspaperÂ’s entertainment section. I did find his name in the paper a couple of times over the first year but it hasn't shown up since.

It may be that he is devoting himself more these days to promoting the local theater group . . . the other job that he, himself, told me about (quotation marks, italics, and bold emphasis has now been terminated . . . parenthetical comments notwithstanding [​IMG])

Anywhooo, the young guy put a few golf balls in the garden . . . I had returned them with some Halloween pumpkins last October by setting them right over the fence. But, the globe-trotting owners have been home [more or less] all Summer so I can safely assume that the young folks won't be picking up their golfballs. I actually haven't seen the house-sitters this season. Was told by the neighbors that their parents have bought them a house in the Valley so they have apparently found another place to practice their golf shots and . . . uh, sit.

So, if you've read all the way to this point { . . . }, here are a few On Topic questions:::: Am I goin' to confuse the 4 pullets by putting golf balls in their nest? Was 3 golf balls too many?

I did throw the red 4th golf ball away. Should they all go out the window? I could come up with a REAL egg for the nest - - I checked, the price of eggs in the supermarket will still allow this but I'm sure that 3 eggs are beyond my budget right now.

Steve
    |thanks for bearing with me [​IMG]|

2. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Steve,
    I know you from the easygarden. I put the golf balls in my pullets' nests as well.
    One in each nest. They ignored them completely at first, then went in and kicked them around or out of the nest and eventually started laying eggs.
    But, it took 4 weeks from the time I put them in there- 20 weeks and the time they laid-24 weeks.
    Towards the end someone gave me three alabaster eggs so I figured what the heck and put them in there in place of the golf balls and they laid 6 days later.
    I think its just coincidence though, golf balls or fake eggs, won't matter much.
    I have the fake eggs in my other coop with my 22 week old pullets and they aren't even looking at those nests.
    So you might as well leave them in there, it can't hurt.
    You might not get any eggs for a while yet anyway, with any luck it will be sooner but I am finding none of mine lay until 6 months.
    Good luck with it.

3. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Quote:Hi Simple Life,

I haven't been on easygarden lately. Now with all the frosts, I can look back on gardening and the effort may seem easier. I should take a shot at posting over there again. |I'll try not to bull my way in.|

S'

4. geckomama

geckomama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    We have 5 pullets.......2 roos.....(all at about 28 weeks) golf balls in each nest and we are FINALLY getting 3 eggs a day....they do just move them around till they are ready and then kick them out LOL

5. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

digitS' :

Quote:Hi Simple Life,

I haven't been on easygarden lately. Now with all the frosts, I can look back on gardening and the effort may seem easier. I should take a shot at posting over there again. |I'll try not to bull my way in.|

S'

I haven't been over there in a while either, been on the sufficient self forum though.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by