The Quackerettes Get a Gourmet Meal

OldGuy43

Songster
8 Years
I started giving the girls grit about 3 days ago, and decided it was time to give them something to go with it. Picked up a head of Romaine lettuce, took off some of the greenest, tenderest leaves, separated them from the stems and put them in the "bopper chopper". You know what that is, right? Anyway, chopped them into a fine, wet, almost mush and gave them a little, maybe a heaping teaspoon full. I didn't want to shock their little digestive systems or get them used to all this high livin'. Store bought greens, that ain't gonna happen for long.

Put the result into a small bowl and gave it to them:

They were on that, if you'll pardon the expression, "like ducks on a June bug." It was so neat to watch; Get some greens, get some water, get some greens, get some water, get some grit and the cycle would start all over again. What fun!
wee.gif

That's just about my schedule, too. The first 2-3 days with just mash, then baby poultry grit for 2-3 days and then some greens.

I like to give dandelion leaves, if I can get them. I don't chop them up, just tear them into some smaller pieces. Then a few more days after that I add some tender new grass, cut into short pieces; very baby newly emerging grass that is tender, not older grass that is fibrous.

I like for them to learn what they will be hunting for once they are outside. It won't be long before they can tear up whole leaves by themselves.

hehe! Too cute! My girls love greens!!! Everytime I come into the room where their brooder is, they expect me to have some kale, wheat grass, or peas! It's so much fun! You can really tell the different chatter of excitement when they start munching.

This spring I have started planting greens in containers all over the place! The ducks are still wild about salad. I grow greens in railing planters to keep the slugs away. Works great!

I am also trying bok choy in the ground, but surrounded by crushed egg shells to try to keep slugs away. The ducks have decimated the slug population, but there are still some around.

old guy glad to see you went and bought yourself some ducklings. youll enjoy thier eggs! the duck flock is growing!

Back
Top Bottom