The Quackerettes Get a Gourmet Meal

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by OldGuy43, Mar 18, 2012.

1. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

I started giving the girls grit about 3 days ago, and decided it was time to give them something to go with it. Picked up a head of Romaine lettuce, took off some of the greenest, tenderest leaves, separated them from the stems and put them in the "bopper chopper". You know what that is, right? Anyway, chopped them into a fine, wet, almost mush and gave them a little, maybe a heaping teaspoon full. I didn't want to shock their little digestive systems or get them used to all this high livin'. Store bought greens, that ain't gonna happen for long.

Put the result into a small bowl and gave it to them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They were on that, if you'll pardon the expression, "like ducks on a June bug." It was so neat to watch; Get some greens, get some water, get some greens, get some water, get some grit and the cycle would start all over again. What fun! [​IMG]

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    That's just about my schedule, too. The first 2-3 days with just mash, then baby poultry grit for 2-3 days and then some greens.

I like to give dandelion leaves, if I can get them. I don't chop them up, just tear them into some smaller pieces. Then a few more days after that I add some tender new grass, cut into short pieces; very baby newly emerging grass that is tender, not older grass that is fibrous.

I like for them to learn what they will be hunting for once they are outside. It won't be long before they can tear up whole leaves by themselves.

3. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

It only took about 10-15 minutes to complete the first post. I went back to check them, and found this:

[​IMG]

They'd ate it all! The duckies like the greens. [​IMG] They than settled down for a nap. Another big day.

4. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    hehe! Too cute! My girls love greens!!! Everytime I come into the room where their brooder is, they expect me to have some kale, wheat grass, or peas! It's so much fun! You can really tell the different chatter of excitement when they start munching.

5. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Very cute again. I wish I had some babies....................................

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    This spring I have started planting greens in containers all over the place! The ducks are still wild about salad. I grow greens in railing planters to keep the slugs away. Works great!

I am also trying bok choy in the ground, but surrounded by crushed egg shells to try to keep slugs away. The ducks have decimated the slug population, but there are still some around.

7. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    Great tip! [​IMG] The Quackerettes are really growing!

8. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    old guy glad to see you went and bought yourself some ducklings. youll enjoy thier eggs! the duck flock is growing!

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    oh my gosh what a precious avatar... [​IMG]

10. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    Isn't it wonderful, how simple they are to please?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by