The Quackers have arrived! 😻

RainbowVixen

In the Brooder
Nov 10, 2020
Onslow County, North Carolina
01A2FB34-6EFF-440E-ABBD-C11669E383FB.jpeg

Just picked up the babies today! They can’t seem to stay out of the water though. Any tips on drying them and keeping them out a bit better? Thanks!

Congratulations! I just got ours in today too.
There’s not much you can do to keep a duck from making a mess. I use a little quail waterer the first 24 hours then switch to a chicken one gallon waterer for about a week then up to a five gallon. But the best thing is just to be prepared to change out the bedding often to keep them dry.

Congratulations! I just got ours in today too.
There’s not much you can do to keep a duck from making a mess. I use a little quail waterer the first 24 hours then switch to a chicken one gallon waterer for about a week then up to a five gallon. But the best thing is just to be prepared to change out the bedding often to keep them dry.
Thank you! They are our first farm animals so I was so nervous! Seeing as they all arrived here alive, I'm hoping to keep them that way. I'll go change out their bedding!

Beautiful babies. Another member here taught me to get a plastic bowl with a lid and cut holes in the lid just big enough for the babies to drink from. It’s been a lot better on the messes than anything else I’ve tried. When they get a bit older do the same thing with a milk jug instead.

Beautiful babies. Another member here taught me to get a plastic bowl with a lid and cut holes in the lid just big enough for the babies to drink from. It’s been a lot better on the messes than anything else I’ve tried. When they get a bit older do the same thing with a milk jug instead.
Thank you so much for this tip! I'm definitely trying it out.

You’re welcome! Do you have a heat lamp on these guys?
We have a brooder in there for them, but we also have a space heater, where they can't reach from within their container, inside of the room too. I'll be turning it on and off periodically. They've dried out now and we've solved the wet bedding issues. You think if I check on them every few hours overnight they'll be good? Or should I leave them to sleep through the night?

We have a brooder in there for them, but we also have a space heater, where they can't reach from within their container, inside of the room too. I'll be turning it on and off periodically. They've dried out now and we've solved the wet bedding issues. You think if I check on them every few hours overnight they'll be good? Or should I leave them to sleep through the night?
You should be good to sleep through the night. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom