The Quacking!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by skalove2, Sep 20, 2016.

1. skalove2

skalove2 Just Hatched

Sep 20, 2016
    We had 2 ducks until last week. At one point there were 3, and one got killed. The two left were about 5 months old, females. The little black duck, Quackie O, fell ill and passed away last week. Quackie O kept Phoebe (the Pekin) in line with her loud quacks.

Phoebe who was already kind of a loud mouth, is now out of control. She quacks the minute she wakes up, until she goes to bed. She'll stop long enough to eat or play in the yard, or nap. She also stops is if we are outside spending time with her, or standing in the window where she can see us.

Another interesting development, is that in the past couple of days, Phoebe (the Pekin), has started to allow me to pet her. Normally we're kept at arm's length, and now I have a new little friend. Then I noticed she flattens her body out and puts her booty in the air while I pet. Methinks Phoebe's is a bit lonely!

While I appreciate her adorable noises, the QUACK QUACK QUACK is disturbing and so annoying, and we have neighbors. It's okay on occasion, but this is incessant.

I tried to find an adult female around here, but to no avail. So, I got 2 little ducklings this weekend, which helped the quacking for about 6 hours, and the newness of the babies wore off. I'm hoping once the babies grow bigger, she'll have some friends to chatter with. They are so stinking cute too!

In the meantime, I'm seriously considering getting a cardboard standup of one of us to put in the window, to see if that minimizes the squawking. Is that crazy?? I'm desperate!

Any advice?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Can you get a non breakable mirror or a mirror with out sharp edges? that way she has company till the ducklings are big enough to be her flock. They love to look at themselves.. and be careful putting the lil ones in with her with out supervision she could attack them. Very sorry for your losses and hers. Welcome to BYC @skalove2

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  3. skalove2

skalove2 Just Hatched

Sep 20, 2016
    I bet I can find one. Good thinking! That's much less weird. Ha!

Thank you!

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Well your neighbors may think your weird putting a life like card board stand up in there with her. We all on BYC wouldn't think so though [​IMG]

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Smart of you to get more Ducklings...She is just scared by herself....She will be happy once the others are big enough to join her...Poor girl is calling her friends back.....

Best of luck....

6. Mrichard0930

Mrichard0930 Just Hatched

Sep 15, 2016
    Aw poor thing. I'm sure a mirror would work my Pekin male has two friends but he still loves to peck at our one window he runs over and sits there for a hour because he sees his reflection. Then when I let them in the kitchen he constantly paces back and forth at the oven because once again he sees his reflection he loves it lol.

1 person likes this.
  7. skalove2

skalove2 Just Hatched

Sep 20, 2016
    The mirror was placed last night. So far she's disinterested. Poop.

One of the little duck babies died over night. I figured it might die the day after I got it...she just seemed off. Now I have two squawking ducks looking for their friends. This plan backfired!

8. Mrichard0930

Mrichard0930 Just Hatched

Sep 15, 2016
    Oh no I'm so sorry poor things. I had a lonely chick once that wouldn't stop chirping until I put my hand in the box I think she just wanted to feel warmth what if you got a big stuffed duck and if the duck spine doesn't work I'd even cut it open and add a warm water filled bottle like what you have to do if you find a baby squirrel without a mama. Oh I hope something works I feel so bad for these little buggers. Crazy around my way I can't find little nuggets only year old hens

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am sorry for the loss of the duckling hopefully the 2 left will become fast friends and snuggle to keep each other company.

As for the mirror it may take a few days for her to notice so maybe not give up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by