1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The quail are coming, the quail are coming! - updated w/ photos

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Must Be Losing It, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH! 120 bobwhite quail eggs are peeping and pipping!

Why can't they do this on Friday?!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Holy bats Ratman! Where the heck did you get 120 quail eggs???? I'm so excited for you too. I've been asked around here to hatch some Bobwhite's, but I need a break,,,, at least for a week.

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I got 37 XLD1's in the bator. Im so psyched , i want to see how tiny they really are

good luck with you mini flufflings. [​IMG]

4. Must Be Losing It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    They're unbelievably tiny! We had 6 when I left for work that had hatched, I'm sure more by tonight. I will try to remember to post pictures.

We found the eggs on Eggbid! A gentlemen out of Texas sells all types of quail eggs!

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Hey Must Be Losing It, what are you going to do with the bobwhites?

I've toyed with the idea of getting some to release and re-populate our area, but found out it's illegal to do that. What do other people do with bobwhites?

6. Must Be Losing It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    Hi Buff Hooligans,

You can give them to hunting preserves w/ specific mass wildlife registrations. Or so says my DH who is a fisheries/wildlife major.

7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Oh, I guess I wanted to have them around to hear their pretty calls in the summer. Didn't really think of them as hunting fodder...

8. CHKNFMR

CHKNFMR Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    GA
    My husband and I are starting up a quail farm. We have about 26 that have just started laying really well. We get about 10-12 eggs a day. Got a couple of bobwhite and some courtinex. In the second cage are the first hatchlings from about 25 eggs we ordered, not quite 4 weeks old. We hope to get the flying pen built inthe next couple of weeks, gotta do it after work. Having a blast with them.

Got 24 in the bator that hsould be hatching out around Fri. and Sat.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  9. Must Be Losing It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    Quote:Trust me, I understand, but you also know how regulated Mass is........

10. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Oh, ya! They are super tiny when they're little. And very, VERY hardy too. You can seriously roll them into a ball and drop them and nothing will happen to them....Seriously, They are wierd lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by