The questions people ask!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by beauty2thebirds, May 22, 2012.

1. beauty2thebirds

beauty2thebirds Chirping

Jul 13, 2011
    Yoncalla
    I randomly sell eggs through ebay and I received this question yesterday and just had to share. This is a copy and paste...

Hi I'm not sure if you are capable of determining the sex of the eggs but if you are I'd prefer mostly female with 1 or 2 males. If not that fine. Have a great day!

Now is this too funny,? or what are your thought to this?

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Crowing

Mar 29, 2011
    It is funny! [​IMG]
    I have heard of it before (Determining the gender of the chicks by egg shape). As far as I know it is a myth. [​IMG]

3. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Tipperary, Ireland
    My MIL swears by it! So does a friend of ours... another guy used to drive me crackers coming here to buy eggs and picking out "girl" eggs from the tray I put my day's fresh eggs in, ready for selling. (Strangely those also happened to be the biggest ones...[​IMG])

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Its a myth and so are the temperature differences...we are not incubating alligators! It is just not done!

5. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Songster

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Hmmmm.... Incubating alligators.... Now THAT would be interesting!

6. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Songster

Apr 15, 2011
    From what I understand, temperature can have some effect on gender...just not in the same way as reptiles. For instance, females are more likely to die if a temperature goes above the ideal range. So, you could technically hatch out all males due to temperature (but the females just died, they didn't alter genders...but it may help contribute to that myth). Also, http://www.independent.co.uk/news/a-drop-in-temperature-can-change-the-sex-of-chickens-1238516.html showed that while still genetically a certain gender, temperature changes do alter the body so that they function reproductively like a female. It alters about 10% of males, and the catch is that if crossed with a normal male, they will only produce male chicks. Chickens are "weird" by our terms because of the way gender is determined on a cellular level. http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2010/03/no-sexual-confusion-for-chicken.html There was a nice little drawing somewhere that illustrated the concept nicely, but I can't find it.

We may even be able to check the gender of our unhatched chicks with ease one day. :D http://www.springerlink.com/content/w81m50423k51u4l8/

Cool how sometimes myths have some counterpart in real life!

Last edited: May 22, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. chickened

chickened Crowing

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    male sperm are faster swimmers.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  8. cassie

cassie Crowing

Mar 19, 2009
    But female sperm live longer.

9. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Songster

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    On that theory, would eggs fertilized in the later part of the 3 week window that sperm live in hens, produce more female chicks? Now THERE is a science fair project!!

10. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Just this week I had it pointed out to me I did not understand the way gender is determined in chickens after all these years. Had a fellow who had been hatching his own birds for decades convince me it was the male (as in the rooster) that determined this the way it works with mammals (as in us).

But it's not. Chickens are avians and their system is very different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZW_sex-determination_system

In birds it's the HEN that determines the sex. Not the rooster and not the incubation temperature (unless it's so hot the female embryos die as was noted above).

He'd bred and hatched who knows how many birds, some of the best I'd ever seen at the time, but had it wrong on the mechanics all that time and it never occurred to me to question it.

Learn something new every day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: