The Radar Chronicles!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DulcyDoll, Oct 21, 2008.

1. DulcyDoll

DulcyDoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Some of you have answered my post about my blind chick and housing over in the coops section, and a few of you seem interested in his/her well being, thus"The Radar Chronicles" will begin!
    Starting at the beginning. Radar is a product of a Buff Orpington hen and a Americauna rooster. Sadly, my rooster was killed in a dog attack, and my hen wasn't laying for a good while after that. She finally started laying again, so I was determined to hatch some of her eggs to get offspring from my wonderful roo. I incubated 3 eggs, all 3 hatched. 2 healthy white ones, and 1 buff one, with no eyes. Radar he was so named. I will update on his progress about every other day, unless there is a major breakthrough.

He is currently residing in a smaller cardboard box, in the same brooder as the rest, just separated. He has food on the floor in one corner, a overturned jar lid with marbles in it in the other corner, and a stuffed penguin in the heated corner to snuggle with.
    Day-1
    He didn't eat much, but i didn't think anything of it because he was still getting nutrients from the absorbed yolk. I would dip his beak in the water, and he would stand there and take a few more before getting turned around and loosing it. He seems to be doing well, sleeping, no excessive peeping.

Day-2
    Still not eating much, becoming a cause for concern as the yolk can't sustain him much longer. Drinking when i dip his beak in water. Brooder seems to be too big for him, he can't find things on his own, mostly stays in the heated area.

Day-3
    Moved him to a smaller box with water in a jar lid and food on the floor. He has begun rubbing his beak along the floor and eating when he finds the food near him. Still i have to dip his beak in the water, but if he gets turned around, he is starting to remember where it is and can get back to it on his own. A little more peeping than usual today, i moved the light a little higher, put it back where it was and he is fine again.
    -also stuck a small stuffed penguin in the box with him so he has something to cuddle with, he sleeps between its legs:)

Day-4 (today)
    I was advised to give him some Poly-vi-sol, and luckily I have some here from the hand rearing of baby bunnies. He took about 2 drops from a syringe, fighting me the whole time lol. he does not like the vitamins!! I am hard boiling some eggs to try egg yolk with him, just for an extra boost. He is eating on his own, not as much as the other two, but he is still eating! I am still dipping his beak in the water every couple hours. Will update when i try the egg yolk.
    Advice is welcome!!

I am also looking for information on building a coop for him, so if any of you have dealt with this, please answer my post over in the Coops section, titled "Coop for blind chicken"
    Here is a picture of my little Radar:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I can't get over how freakin cute he is! I guess he'll probably be less cute as an adult chicken, but right now with all the fuzz he's just adorable! I think baby creatures are cute so that we won't want to get rid of them when they're older (with the exception of disgusting meat chickens). I already tried giving some advice on your coop thread, so now all I can say is GOOD LUCK, and POST MORE PICS!!! If you're gonna start a daily chronicle you should post one new pic for each day LOL!!!

3. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Good luck with him! Sounds like he might just adapt. Putting together a coop just for him might be difficult. And i know he'd rather have company.

Since he won't be able to see to fly up to a roost, i'd set one up at just off floor level, and get in one or a couple of silkies. often they prefer spots on the floor to cuddle up together and they're very accepting of other birds in most cases. if he's got a low roosting buddy he should be fine in a normal coop, though you may have to help him outside and in, depending on your set up.

Since he doesn't have sores, or obvious deformities, most chickens won't bother him. he's likely to do fine in a flock unless there is something wrong with him that other chickens will pick up on. That's something you cannot know until you give it a shot.

If other chickens can somehow sense he's ill in some way then he'd be in trouble. Running into one another is somethings chickens do... So he's okay on that score, especially if he grows up around the other birds.

That's all i can think of for now... hope he continues well.

4. DulcyDoll

Sep 11, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Day-5
    Radar is doing good today, his crop is a good size, it was empty yesterday. He has been drinking here and there, but I am still forced to dip his beak in order to be sure he is getting enough. His siblings will not let him be alone in his box, they jump in and out, have found that his box is better to sleep in, eat in and mess water up in.
    The main reasons I was keeping him seperate was to be sure he could find the food and water(easier in smaller area) and to keep an eye on his poop to see if it was getting extra runny, or firming up like the rest. But they are making it near impossible to tell lol.

But, he seems to do better when they are in with him, and as long as he is eating and drinking I don't care, it just means more water changes, and box cleanings. He didn't eat much of the egg yolk yesterday, maybe a few pieces of cooked, and i also tried raw and he didn't want that either.
    That is the update for today..if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

5. DulcyDoll

Sep 11, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    HE SCRATCHED!!!!!!!

He just, like 2 minutes ago, started scratching the crumbles with his little feet!! he looks like a normal chicken! He keeps doing it. I think putting him back with his siblings was the best thing for him, they are not picking on him, at all.

My God...i feel like a proud mom watching her child take their first steps...

He is doing great tonight, very active and eating and drinking like a champ [​IMG] and his poo has begun firming up (there is no runny in their brooder, so unless he is holding it lol)

On a side note, I had to split the brooder in half. My guineas started hatching today(hatch date was the 25th) so because they are newly hatched I didn't want the chickens pummeling them and pecking their fragile little toes. I think I will be setting up a separate brooder for the chicks tomorrow,Ii have heard that guineas can be rather... rambunctious after they start growing and I don't want Radar to have to deal with 5 naughty birds knocking him down all the time.

I'll update again, soon.

6. DulcyDoll

Sep 11, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Day 11
    Radar is still here, I thought I was going to lose him around day 7-8, he wasn't eating, sleeping a lot. But, he has made a full turn around and is happy and healthy now. I have stopped giving him the poly-vi-sol vitamins, as it seemed to stress him out more than help (he would stand in one spot shaking his head for about 5 minutes after I gave them to him) I have been giving them boiled egg yolk every other day, just to bulk him up a bit. His feather growth is wayy slower than his siblings, but his wings are finally nice and visible. I'll try for pictures later.

I have a question, for anyone that reads this who has raised a blind chicken before, If he is used to eating off the floor of the brooder, how would I go about switching to a feeder, and add wood shavings to the cage. I'm afraid he won't realize that the food is in a container, and he will heat wood chips instead. I know...i should have started him on a actual feeder earlier, but I was trying to make things easier on him...blah

7. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    I am so glad to hear he is doing so well! You will have to post a new pick of him soon!

8. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    GOOOOOO! Radar!!!![​IMG]

9. DulcyDoll

Sep 11, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Here are his updated pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    aw he is cute, albeit a little strange. way to go little guy! i agree, get him a silkie buddy and he will be set for life!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by