The Rainforest. Its gotta stop.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by safarichick101, Dec 26, 2009.

1. safarichick101

safarichick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    College Station TX
    Its late. But I want to be an environmentalist when I get older. I have since I was 4. I feel like its my calling and my job to stop the madness. I cry thinking about it. Ya'll are probably going to think I need a counselor after this but whatever. I just need some advice as how to get a head start and make as big an impact. I already recycle. But I need to start before its gone. :'(

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:Well, how's your grades in biology for starters?

3. safarichick101

Sep 1, 2009
    College Station TX
    Um.. I'm not in High School yet. Lol. But I do plan to take it when I get there. [​IMG]

4. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Ok then from a pratical standpoint, you'll need a solid knowledge in biology, botony and perhaps zoology. So start getting good science scores now.

While you work that up, start consuming less. Many people recycle, but the reuse and reduce portions are even more important. If you buy less then there's less to recycle, but also less waste made to produce a product.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Glad you have concern, but you have many more important things to worry about.

There is enough and to spare on this blue marble we call Earth, even with 6 billion inhabitants.

Worry about maintaining freedom. It's almost gone.

6. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    I don't know about that, Mahonri. I am far from an "alarmist", but some of what I have learned over the last couple years really concerns me that we *don't* have enough room. The evidence of what we are doing to the planet is quite substantial. I don't necessarily want to get into a discussion about it because it seems to be one that never ends well. We can all decide for ourselves I think as far as what sources to believe and how concerned to be.

To me though, there are pretty clear *major* environmental concerns at this point (and again, I am not at all an alarmist type). Even look at just the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, http://www.greatgarbagepatch.org/. Its' existence was hypothesized only about 20 years ago and estimates already put it at larger than the state of Texas and potentially as large as the United States! A floating bundle of garbage for heaven's sake! That should be disconcerting to any reasonable person, in opinion, and it is only *one* example of the environmental concerns we are facing.

7. safarichick101

Sep 1, 2009
    College Station TX
    That one got me crying when I first heard about it ^. And do you see how all these animals are suddenly facing extinction due to various causes - The frogs and that fungus, the bats and that fungus, and how the bees suddenly vanish. Why are all these happening now? It has to be tied to the loss of the rainforest. Its a sad fact. But I hope my space in Heaven IS a Rainforest. I love nature and animals. And I want to protect and make sure they'll be there for eternity (the species and habitat as a hole). Its a big task.. but people are too busy with the economy to make a change.

8. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Me too, Safarichick. When I first heard about the garbage patch, I actually felt physically ill and I am not the type of person that normally feels like "the sky is falling". It is very disturbing though. Ocean ecology is something we studied in detail in one of my classes last semester and I have to admit, some of what is going on is quite frightening.

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    When you get to high school..ask your guidence counsler what classes to take to help prepare you for college in this field.

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Glad you have concern, but you have many more important things to worry about.

There is enough and to spare on this blue marble we call Earth, even with 6 billion inhabitants.

Worry about maintaining freedom. It's almost gone.

Exactly.

I was pretty involved with the ecology movement when I was younger. Turned out a lot of it was lies. Sure there was clean up that needed to happen, but so much is politics, manipulation and outright fraud.

Why are all these happening now? It has to be tied to the loss of the rainforest. Its a sad fact.

These things have been happening for millions of years. If you are sobbing over news stories, you have bigger problems than the environment.

Maybe if I hadn't been lied to so many times since I was a kid I wouldn't be so skeptical. According to the "experts" we were supposed to have been in a second ice age decades ago [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by