the reason Im hatching so many chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cackel, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Cackel

Cackel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    If I hatch them now they will be laying by spring and I plan to sell eggs and sell baby chickes this spring too. I HOPE

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    They'll be laying in early summer, but at least they'll be laying!

3. justhatchin

justhatchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Galva, Kansas
    Where are you located?

Good luck and may your many babie lay lots of pretty eggs this spring.

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Now your making me want to get my bator out. LOL

If you put them in say next week and they hatch out on the 3rd of January they will be 20 weeks on the 23rd of May. [​IMG]

I better tell my DH that because he wants more chickens.

5. texasbartrambaby

texasbartrambaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Tulia, Texas
    [​IMG] I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking -- "If I get them now they'll be hatching but if I waited we wouldn't have eggs until winter, and that's only if they laid" My very very first chickies ever arrived today! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. A.J.'s

A.J.'s Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Tennessee
    Could I ask, how do you house the chicks til they are old enough to put in with the older ones?
    I have 7 chicks from a hatch that I didnt plan. (birth control here ended for me when my grandson put eggs in a bator while I was out of town and of course, I had to continue it when I returned.)
    So, I have 7 chicks, 3 weeks old and the card board box bored me to death. I felt sorry for them and the mess they were living in despite my efforts and I put them outside in a converted dog house with a heat bulb. The dog house is in a pen I covered with clear plastic. All was grand until I awakened at midnight and the temperature is very very cold.
    Ive made my third trip out there into that cold night and down on my knees to watch for signs of death or life. They are fine. lying there all warm and snuggle while I try to get back on my feet with my worn out knees asking me what in the world I am thinking.
    If Im gonna do this, I must have a better plan. Ive never seen this one discussed on this site other than one lady told me she puts the wee ones right in with the adults and as badly as I wanted to try that my DH would not shut up until i shushed on it.
    ITs 24 degrees out there. Dry and no wind. But a crust of frost on the world. No doubt in my mind they would be dead if not for that heat bulb. Heck! Ill bet even some of these Tenn Ticks have lost their testicles tonight.
    So back to my question to you, what are your arrangements for carng for the chicks before you can put them in with the general population?
    I probably should have found a more appropriate place for this but it is a direct question to your post.
    Moderators please move it if you want to, Im not sure what to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by