The Red-Blue Blur (Roosevelt)... Look At This Humongous Baby (PICS)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by speckledhen, Aug 19, 2010.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

He's just now 14 weeks old, towers over all the ladies in the coop with him, son of Suede and Meg (Blue Orp x RIR/Buff Orp). He has blue, red, black and I think he's a hunk of baby-roo. I say "baby" because he has never been rejected by his broody mama, Nugget, and has never crowed. He has a nasal honk-honk when he is displeased with something, like being picked up. I have had him posted in BSA for awhile, but if I had room in the main flock, I would give some thought to keeping the boy. He's finally getting a tail!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    He's a looker, Cyn, and OH!! What is that I see? Could it be GREEN SHEEN????? [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

LOL, yeppers, green sheen on a blue and red bird! Thought you'd notice that. I was stunned to see that, but he has a black section on one of the blue feathers and I guess this was black, too, and very shiny.

4. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    I love the feathers that appear to be blue with red lacing- it amazes me how cool some of these crosses can be.

5. TheChickenCameFirst

TheChickenCameFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow what a pretty boy!

6. daze333

daze333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    He reminds me of my BLRW roo with those big legs and acting like a big baby! Do you know what breed mixture he is? I like the big ones!

7. speckledhen

His sire is Blue Orpington and mom is a RIR x Buff Orp cross. Suede is about 13 lb and Meg is easily 9 lb or more; she is out of exhibition size Buff Orpington stock formerly owned by Bama Chicken. If he grows into that big head and huge, long legs, he'll be easily as large or larger than his dear old dad.

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Awe! [​IMG] What a BIG Baby! [​IMG]
    I think you should really consider keeping him speckledhen! [​IMG]

9. speckledhen

I don't have any hens large enough for Roosevelt, unfortunately. The only ones big enough are with his daddy, Suede. I'd love to keep him, just because he's so handsome and just to see how big he'll actually get.

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:Oh, come on! You know you want to! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by