the red "crown"on the top of my plymouth rocks head is called a what??

peatydink

Hatching
9 Years
Nov 14, 2010
I am new to owning chickens. I have two girls. A buff cochin named Nugget and a Plymouth Rock named Patti. They are great fun. They live in a big chicken condo that we built in the back yard with plenty of room. The red "crown" on the top of the Plymouth Rock does not stand straight up-it is much larger than the "crown"on the cochin--
should I worry about the fact that this is falling over-it is a problem??
thank you
hmm.png

Not a problem at all. The comb on some breeds is larger than on others and doesn't always stand straight up. My Plymouth Rock's is a little rakish too.

Are you sure she's a hen? Leghorn hens often have combs that big, but I've not heard of Rock's having such. Maybe post a pic?

But it's not really a problem.

welcome-byc.gif

A plymouth rock should have a small single comb. Larger in the rooster than the hen.

Here's an illustration of the common types of combs:

4810_571877_f496.jpg

I looked through my pics of my BR and since that is not what I was trying to photograph, its not the greatest angle, but in this photo you can see that her comb is flopping over a little at the top. Is your like this?
38935_img_4893.jpg

54168_100_3474.jpg

This is Mean Marge. She has a really large comb for a hen and lays some really nice eggs. Some just have a large comb. My other barred rocks have smaller combs.

Back
Top Bottom