The Red Hen Club

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by NellaBean, Aug 6, 2010.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I have a million chickens. And not very many red ones....I think only 2 or 3 RIR hens were not part of the red hen club this morning.

These girls were not raised together. 2 red sex links came together, 2 reddish olive eggers came together. RIR hen was one of my original gals.

Apparently it was a meeting of the red hen club. I was not invited.

[​IMG]

They are going to be so upset when I finish converting that into a little broody coop.

2. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Rather cliquey, aren't they? Is this Chicken High School? [​IMG]

3. Red&Yellow

Red&Yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    Haha, that's cute....Hmm wonder if all red hens do that, as we just got a RSL [​IMG]

4. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    You know, I have multiple breeds (of course you know) ... and some have been raised since hatch day together in mixed groups....

They still group together (for the most part) with their own breeds!!! I found this so interesting. Kinda a side study. The most recent is the bantam delawares and buff sebrights - same exact age and brooded together... never been without each other. They still will clump in groups with their own breeds. Makes you wonder.

5. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Quote:Don't cows do this too? How does each one know what it looks like, anyway? [​IMG]

6. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    Quote:Don't cows do this too? How does each one know what it looks like, anyway? [​IMG]

I don't know about cows (really I don't know anything about cows)... but I don't know how they know what they look like. I don't think they ever seen a mirror. They do look back when grooming... but still. it's weird.

7. goldenluver

goldenluver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Springfield, Oregon
    I have golden retrievers, and over the years have dicovered that they know their own kind, so why not chickens.

8. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I have 4 red hens total. 3 RIR and 1 red sexlink type. Yesterday, I had pen full of baby chicks out in the yard. I had guineas, black copper marans, buff orpingtons, and golden cuckoo marans. I noticed they would stay in thier own groups, mostly, but mingled together a little here and there. Funny, I guess that old saying about, "Birds of a feather....." is somewhat true.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by