The Remaining Originals, and Miscellaneous Others ~Pics~

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by speckledhen, Nov 21, 2010.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Some of you remember when I first got my first chicks. Three RIRs, three SLWs, two Buff Orpingtons and two Barred Rocks. The girls are mostly gone now, lost to internal laying/egg peritonitis and could be I'll lose at least one or two of these to that same ailment, but Reba, Sunny and Lexie are about to turn five years old now. Reba is laying still, Sunny is thin, molting heavily and not laying currently, and Lexie is fully feathered again, but hasn't laid an egg in a few months. Here are the old girls today:

Reba, RIR
    [​IMG]

Lexie, who has arthritic feet and is again in need of a toenail trim (her middle nail grows really fast and always needs trimming)

[​IMG]

Sunny, in the back with younger Buff Orp, Nugget, in the foreground. Sunny is a bit off her feed at the moment:

[​IMG]

Some of the others (though younger than the originals, many are over three and four years old now)

Amanda, largest BR hen I've ever had--she's an armload, lemme tell ya!:

[​IMG]

Dusty, who is finishing her molt and needs to gain back her weight. Some new feathers have a brownish cast, not her usual:

[​IMG]

Smoky, who is finished with her molt, but not currently laying. Pics don't show what a huge hen she is. Suede, Dusty and Meg are in the background

[​IMG]

Nora and Snow, Ameraucana sisters:

[​IMG]

Gypsy, visiting boyfriend, Zane.

[​IMG]

Barbara, one of the young crowd, almost a year old now. She is daughter of Fern and granddaughter of Ivy, one of my first BRs:

[​IMG]

Isaac, leader of the rambunctious main flock. The old ladies live a rooster-less existence in their own coop.

[​IMG]

2. birdman123

birdman123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    woodsfield ohio
    you got some pretty birds
    congrats for you having such pretty birds and congrats on the hens for living 5 yrs
    :)

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Beautiful birds; love the pics. Thanks for posting.

4. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    You've got a great group there! I especially appreciate seeing the "Golden Girls" of your flock. Thanks so much for sharing!

5. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Lovely family!

6. Chick-a-roos

Chick-a-roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    Blue Ridge, GA
    Isaac is really handsome [​IMG] He has the appearance of a great leader!

What breed is Gypsy?

7. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Aww, I hope I can post pics of my girls in five years. [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

Quote:Gypsy is a black Ameraucana. My older blue Ameraucana, Charlotte, is her mother. It's rare that Gypsy has full plumage--seems she molts at least two times a year and is bald as a vulture when she does, LOL. She loves to be held and carried around and Zane is completely in love with her. She is very sweet to him and is not bothered by the jerky movements me makes getting around (he is crippled). If I remember correctly, Gypsy is about 3 years old now.

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Oh, Cyn, they are looking great! That Reba looks like a big girl, too! Of course, you know, Isaac is my all time favorite rooster! I love that boy! [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

That Reba is a hoot. She started laying again, post-molt, a few days ago and has laid two eggs in four days, not bad for an old lady. She sometimes asks to be picked up, but is the best forager you could hope for- that woman loves to dig through leaves and sometimes, has to be "encouraged" to come back from free ranging, LOL.

Ike is such a good boy--couldn't ask for better roosters than him and big Suede.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by