The Renovation Of Hawkeye, A Pictorial History

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by speckledhen, Sep 9, 2007.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

This is especially for headbangingrooster and his mom, by request. Alot of the people from the other BYC know my flock rooster Hawkeye. I bought him last October after trying to find an adult Barred Rock rooster for months. It felt more like a rescue to me. He was kept in a muddy, dark pen in the woods with a huge turkey, who did some damage to one wattle(full of scar tissue) and his comb. My friend Kate calls it his "Art Deco Comb", LOL. No sun could reach the pen, his water was in a large tub and black and dirty. Hawkeye was about 10 months old at the time with brassy feathers,lice and favus, a fungal infection of the comb and face. A middle school kid owned him, said his grandfather used to show him (can't imagine that, from what I saw). They fed him only corn. Poor boy.
    I'm posting pics starting the day I got him, after his bath. He was in quarantine over a month while he got proper food, yogurt, ACV and garlic in his water. In three weeks, all brassiness was completely gone. It's back now because he spends his days in the sunshine guarding his girls,freeranging and taking lavish dustbaths in red clay dirt. He's my buddy, the best flock rooster I could have asked for.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is Mid-Quarantine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is Post-Renovation-Freedom & Women at Last!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  2. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

Wonderful story and roo -congrats! (and thanks for sharing) [​IMG]

3. MarkR

MarkR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Ivy, Virginia
    He's a great one. . . got a bit of that wise old owl look to his eyes. . . been through hell and back to talk about it. [​IMG] Gotta love happy endings.

Mark

4. Zenbirder

Zenbirder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    The universe thanks you for a great rescue.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

He's a total sweetheart. I can do anything to the ladies and he will never even act concerned because he seems to understand that we are in charge and would never hurt them. He shows me things to eat all the time, LOL, and I know he will never spur me or show disrespect to me or my DH. Although he may not be show quality, he does have good qualities worth passing down, such as excellent temperament, strong legs and deep, broad chest. He'll live out the rest of his life here being taken care of the way he deserves. I only wish the first part of his life could have been better.
    Mark, if you ever want to try hatching some eggs, I would be glad to send you some from Hawkeye and his girls, to rebuild your flock or expand it later on. I'm so sorry about what happened to you.

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Oh Cynthia! He is BEAUTIFULL now! In the first pic...he looks as if he is saying... " what now?" By the end of the pictures.....he is saying.... " this is the life!!" He sure cleaned up fine, and plumped up. What a handsome fellow!

7. pricem11

pricem11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    What a beautiful bird! He's very lucky to have you Cynthia, and you're lucky to have him.

Mark

8. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    He is gorgeous, what a nice fellow he is. I can't imagine anyone treating another living being like that, he is lucky to have you, as I know you are to have him.

9. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    He is so handsome and happy. I love these stores.
    Thanks Cynthia.[​IMG]

10. headbangingrooster

headbangingrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    Georgia
    Thanks for the pics. Now I know why it is that he doesn't carry the same scowl as Buster. Hawkeye's got a brand new lease on life. He doesn't have to scowl. Of course, that scowl was what let Iris, Hazel, and Scarlett know that he wasn't Hawkeye. He looked at them, and all his face said was, "Welcome." (Buster speaks with his eyes, not his vocal cords. He's a bird of few words, most of the time.)

And mom says thanks, and she also says that whoever had him before you needs to be shot [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by