The rescue meaties are growing up!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Sep 13, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Out of the 19 rescue cornish Xs left on my doorstep I ended up with 18, after one died on the second day.

Not long ago my DH culled 9 extra cockerels for me. I would have liked to keep them all, but there was no way I could end up with a peaceful flock with that many cockerels. The rest are now 14 weeks old. There are 8 pullets and 1 cockerel, to go along with my layer flock of 12 pullets and a cockerel.
    Everyone gets along fine. In fact, one of my silkies refuses to have anything to do with the other layer chicks, preferring the company of the meaties.
    Ollie, my meatie cockerel, is sweet and quiet. He has a wonderful crow, but rarely uses it. One of the pullets is blind, so she gets extra attention.
    All of them get around fine, love to dustbath, but most haven't caught on to catching bugs yet.

I am waiting to post pics of them until I can bathe them. They had a watermelon feast the other day and look pretty yucky.

I just wanted to share, for those that have offered me support. [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Gritsar,

Waiting for pictures. Sure was nice of you to rescue them.

Are you going to let them live out their lives?

Well except for impy, the noisy imp.

Imp

3. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Aww c'mon! the best pics are taken during/after a watermelon feast!! [​IMG] [​IMG] for the rescue too!

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yes Impy, they will be allowed to live out their lives naturally, barring lameness or other illness that forces us to cull them. I make them walk around every day so their legs and hearts get stronger. They were scheduled to be culled at 3 weeks old, by having "their little heads pinched off" for nothing more than not growing fast enough.
    Even the cockerels that had to be cullled by DH had 10 weeks of the good life before they met their fate.
    It's been enjoyable watching them learn to be chickens. Ollie makes me smile every time he crows. I think Impy taught him how. [​IMG]

Back in the day, DH's mom got all her laying hens from the commercial houses, so in a way I am simply carrying on the tradition. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by