The results are in

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by myhubbycallsmechickeemama, Jun 25, 2011.

1. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    All of our birds are weighed and in the freezer except for the one we ate tonight. It was my 8lb'er and he fed 6 adults and 3 kids with leftovers for sandwiches tomorrow. OMGosh, this was the best chicken I have ever had! YUMMY!!!

We averaged 6lbs per bird at 8 weeks.

Started with 20 (1 butchered at 4 weeks due to leg issues and one thrown out due to Ascites) so had a total of 18 birds.
    400lbs of feed but this also fed 3 turks.

We figured it cost us about $1.30 per pound of bird.

I was very impressed with my Cornish X!! [​IMG]

40 new little meaties should be here on Monday.

2. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    That seems like a very fair price for some high quality food! 8 lbs - wow - impressive [​IMG]

3. tryingtohaveitall

tryingtohaveitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Did you process them yourself?

4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    That's a lot of hot water and plucking. One enough trouble, but I guess once you a system down it goes right along. Bet that was good. I dress out a White Rock rooster some years back and weighed him at 17 lbs. I ate chicken salad for 6 months it seemed.
    p

5. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Sounds great, Tammy! You make me want to buy more birds!! [​IMG]

6. chicktwins

chicktwins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    That is awesome!!! I eventually want to order some cornish x's too. Did you process them yourself? How long did it take to do that many?? Was this your first time?

7. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    Quote:Yes, we processed them ourselves and it was our very first time. It took us 3 days, a total of 7 hours. It was getting too hot and the flies were coming out and I hate flies so bad!!! Of course the days we picked to process happened to be the hottest days that we've had so far this year. It was definitely a learning experience and hope we will be better with the next batch. It was just my hubby and I with this batch but the next one we will have 8 of us doing it.

8. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    Quote:We ended up having 5 in excess of 7lbs so I was happy. [​IMG]

9. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Good job Tammy!! thats terrific! I have only had 2 meat birds and I can't bring myself to butcher them yet, they are huge and 11 weeks old but still walking around and chirping happily. I keep telling myself next weekend and thats it , then I go out and feed and water and they follow me around like little puppys its so hard but Im going to have to do it sometime! LOL
    Why Oh Why Can't Meat bird be mean birds instead of the big ole babies in baby hughie suits!!!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  10. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    Quote:LOL...I know, I cried my eyes out when we butchered the first one!! I know they are little stinky butts but I just loved their personalities and watching them run and trying to fly in the run was absolutely hilarious.[​IMG] Hubby is building me a 10'x10' tractor for this next batch so I can get them out of the coop and into the grass.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by