1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The Retirement Life

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by livelifebyluck, Dec 13, 2013.

1. livelifebyluck

livelifebyluck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2012
    North Carolina
    Over Thanksgiving we acquired Phillis Diller!!

[​IMG]
    Phillis had about 20 something other friends who unfortunately did not survive a dog attack while Phillis here is a champ!
    She's about 6 or 7 and we figured we would give her a great retirement retreat.

From what I gather Phillis was on a sole ration of scratch with some popcorn…when we first got her she had this nasty sweet smell. While looking her over I noticed that her feet while not deformed they seemed to be smooshed together because she never roosted only laid in hay. The scales on her feet where all lifted with nasty amounts of nastiness under them, and her poops where also black as tar.

I first started her on some mash of chick feed and tuna fish since it has a higher protein content and she was in a weird stage of molt where new feathers where coming in but since she wasn't getting enough protein they just stalled so she had some bald spots. After a couple of days of that I started mixing layer/chick feed together for her with some oatmeal I was also gather as much black soldier fly larvae for her, which she enjoys!

Phillis has been alone for over a year with no other chickens so I was hesitant to show her my other chickens until she got comfortable with her new surrounding because now she's able to have supervised free range (which for her is like a child on Christmas morning)

We have 6 week old chicks so I figured I'd allow everyone to go free range while I was outside and could over see the meeting which went rather well the babies where interested in Phillis but never made a move to get to close to her and she went about her business of finding grubs.

Phillis also got a bath yesterday which FYI looks like nothing like youtube lol I had feathers and water everywhere!! All I did was soak her feet and try to clean as much of the gunk out of the scales as I could which worked pretty well. I will say though that she did enjoy the blow dryer a lot!! Then I applied olive oil to the scales which we had done when we first brought her home with us and they looked much better this time around when I did it they are starting to flatten out.

All in all Phillis is enjoying the retirement life to the fullest she has warm breakfasts every morning and foraging around for yummy bugs durning the day!

Megan

Check us out on Facebook:
    The Cackling Hens

2. PolkaDot77

PolkaDot77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    How nice of you to give Phillis the retirement home she deserves! It sounds like she is in good hands and will be in tip top shape in no time. Good luck!

3. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    She's so cute! Keep posting as she gets used to her new home.

4. livelifebyluck

Aug 14, 2012
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (Whatever kind of grub bug this is she eats these like Bon-Bons)

Phillis Dillers almost a month in her retirement home update...

she is now able to have full range of the backyard!!! She is very excited about this new rule so much so that if I don't move fast enough with her food in the mornings she starts getting sassy and I get an ear full.

Phillis is still on a mixture of chick feed and layer mix but her feathers are coming in beautifully white and shiny. She also has what I call chicken dandruff coming off which is just folicals but it's funny to watch her shake and see snow fall to the green grass.

The teenie boppers as I like to refer to them as are now able to go out and about in the backyard they mainly stick by the house or under shrubbery. Phillis though would have made an awesome mamma hen she may be out doing her thing but she always has one watchful eye over the kids.

The teenagers have now started going in the coop with her at night which wasn't a total crazy ordeal like I thought it would be.we are just working on going in the coop without my help at this point. Phillis was none to pleased but as long as the teenagers our on their roost and kept their distance she was okay with it.

Megan

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  5. bellschick

bellschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2013
    what is Black Soilder fly larvea?

6. livelifebyluck

Aug 14, 2012
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]
    These things I took this one from google since my pics aren't that close up!
    Heres a link for more info.

If you compost you could have these (Depending on where you live they may come natural or I think you can buy them).

They also keep the black flies at bay because Soldier Flies make the compost a little to wet for the black larvae to survive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by