The Rev. finally agreed! PIGS!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Parson's Wife, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    [​IMG] Oh Ms. Ozark Hen! Are you listening! The Rev. finally agreed!
    He said as soon as youth camps, and camp meetings are out of the way.....can you say, "here piggy piggy!" [​IMG]

Do you know what did it? No, not me...are you kidding.
    My sister....(you would just have to know them...city kids [​IMG])
    she was a farm girl, now.... uh-uh.
    They bought 2! For $30 each, he said, well "I do like bacon, and ham is ALWAYS good!" [​IMG]
    Now, I just have to see him get a corral for the pigs....
    Any ideas? It needs to be easy! I repeat, easy enough for me to do it....he's been at the hospital 3 times this week already, not to mention the nursing home, work on a house, and then... oh never mind... I've got 2 big ole corral panels. Shade is first and foremost...we don't have any. Any ideas? Again simple!

Ms. Ozark...seen any flying pigs your way? I got hit in the head with one! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2008
  2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    What ever you do, make it good and sturdy. My mom says the ones they raised when she was a kid liked to escape.

3. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    They are a pain when they escape. Sturdy and big and so they cant dig under it or bust through it.

4. Parson's Wife

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    Hey, I just had another thought....
    Pigs are awesome diggers...how far down should we go? (With the corral panels?) Or tin or something! [​IMG]

5. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Congrats on your future piggery.

I would like to add that I like the title you used. It is obvious you and the Rev. discussed it instead of you asking and him granting permission. I like that! It is so refreshing! [​IMG]

6. Parson's Wife

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    [​IMG] I will read this post as soon as I can. Very interested in all ideas. A church member has gotten worse, drastically. Got to get the young'uns and I ready for a trip to the hospital.

7. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I dont know every body says pigs are trouble we have two. We got them 10 weeks ago. They were around 30lbs a piece. All we did was divide a large area of our goat yard. My son put up a small three sided house that they do not even use. As for shade we use a 8 x 10 tarp. They have never tried to dig out nor do they try to escape. We also put in a small kiddie pool they love to lay in the water when its hot and believe me its hot here in Florida. they do have a very large pen but its only field fence with chicken wire around the lower part. I believe my son dug down aound a foot with the chicken wire (at the time we thought they would be very small) These pigs came from a local auction and were not tame at all. Now Hambone especially rolls over for you to rub her stomach. Its amazing how much personality they have. DH has now decided to keep one for breeding and the other for food. hope this helps. Micki

8. riderbecky

riderbecky Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ottawa Valley
    Have you considered using electric? [​IMG] Cheap and easy to set up using those "step in" metal pickets and stringing a couple strands of electric tape to make the enclosure. can even use solar panels to power them. [​IMG]

Hope everyone is feeling better at the Parsonage soon. Congrats on the new piggies too! Bacon....yuuummm!

9. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Pigs make the farm world go 'round.

10. Parson's Wife

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    Thank you everyone, the tarp is a good idea...I can put that up till DH can build a more permanent shelter.
    The panels still kinda have me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by