The Revised Co-op

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Robo, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Well I had an idea that instead of us all getting eggs from one breeder we could get them from different ones. Different breeders can swap eggs, then cross our lines to each other. Then we can swap again and repeat the process. This should better all of our stock and each breeder can do something different like different feed, housing, climate, ext. Finally report our results after three generations and decide what worked best. Plus if it all goes well we will add size to our bloodlines. We can ship eggs in lots of 24 to various breeders willing to participate. I am willing to swap with anyone. Just notify me and you can be paired up with the breeder of your choice. I hope this goes well and we will have better stock in the end. To sign up just post and we'll sort the rest out a little later.[​IMG]

2. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I thought that's what we were doing initially?

I have received eggs from one breeder and have eggs on the way in the next month or two from another breeder (plus have enlisted two local people to work on the same goals, so we'll be doing egg swaps of sorts). I'm waiting for the chicks from the first breeder to hit breeding age, then I'm going to be setting up my flock for the largest I have and sending eggs back out to them.

The weather we've been having has made me a bit nervous. I have all of my quail inside the barn and we're now regularly having temperatures below zero at night. So far I haven't lost any of the quail I have held back so far, but I'm holding my breath. I didn't save more than two or three quail as "just in case" back ups. If the weather keeps deteriorating I don't know what losses I might have.

Either way, sign me up for whatever co-op we're doing [​IMG]

3. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    The thing about the old one is that we are all getting eggs from the same parent stock. I wanted to add more choice to it by opening it up to people choosing which breeder the first eggs come from.

4. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Ah, gotcha. My idea was to jump on doing trades with absolutely anyone who was interested in trading, then somewhere along the line doing a closed flock and a play-around-with-new-lines flock. I didn't worry about anything beyond that; but I definitely see what you mean.

5. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    As soon as we get a few more people we can start pairing people up.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by