The right birds to show????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by wooody_1, Sep 8, 2010.

1. wooody_1

wooody_1 New Egg

Sep 3, 2010
    Indiana
    Good Morning,
    I am new to BYC and also very new to raising chickens. This started with my daughter wanting to show chickens in 4H next year... the coop was easy. And its done... Now I am in a pickle on the right birds to show. But would also like to benefit from this also ( fresh eggs...yum) my daughter is all for it, so I had her look and we also visited local people with chickens... she really likes the Barred Rock, White Rock and Black ast.... Any suggestion...any help on deciding..... I know we want a friendly breed, and if we buy pullets now will they be ready for fair time.....

2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG]

You might try posting in the New Member introductions section .. lots of folks answer you there!

Not much help on the chicken breed thing .. I love just about all of them!

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Most 4-H shows seem to be more just for fun and not so much about whether the birds meet the APA standard or not. If that's all you want then probably most any chicken will do. If however you want to get her started right in showing find a reputable breeder who breeds to the standard of the breeds you want and get some from them.

4. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Pick a breed that you'll enjoy the rest of the year! I've seen all the breeds you mentioned at shows, so you shouldn't be without the competition that keeps it fun.

5. Black Cochin Bantams

Black Cochin Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa
    My daughter started 4H poultry with good bantam Cochins. Not good egg layers but very good brooders. They are a calm breed and look good running around. The rocks are a good choice. If she wants to do a layer project our fair has a special class where everyone gets the same birds at the same time. Check with the fair about what classes they have and then decide which class your daughter wants to participate in. Find the best birds you can to help her get started. Then enjoy!

6. 3rocksandme

3rocksandme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Brookline, NH
    Not sure about showing...but I love love love my barred rocks. We did have white rocks and they were pretty but a bit more stand offish than the barred ones. Our BR are friendly, social, and a riot. My 2 year old daughter picks them up, chases them around and just generally tortures them as a only a toddler can and they put up with it.

7. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Go with what she likes, you'll be fine.

My only suggestion is to go with large fowl, not bantums. That way you'll have "real" size eggs if you sell them or give them to friends/neighbors.

8. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I say get what she likes too. Those are all good breeds for egg laying, and personality. I just wouldn't go for any high maintanence breeds too quickly because they could possibly burn you out on them. I personally find bantams better for children. My sister does better with them than she does large fowl. I think it is because smaller kids don't find the roosters so intemidating. You are from Indiana correct. I know (but not personally) a really good breeder of white rocks in large fowl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by