The right feed...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by conniesue27, Jan 5, 2011.

1. conniesue27

conniesue27 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    atwater ohio
    My 25 week old BO hens have been laying for about 2 weeks. Changed over to layer feed with 20% protein. Is this the right amount of protein? So far the eggs have been awesome, only problem I also have 4 muscovys.Can they eat the same feed a the chickens, or should I get them something else? Will it hurt them to eat this feed too. It would be a problem trying to feed the separetly,they all live together and share the same feeders..

2. dfdesigns

dfdesigns Indigo Ridge Farm

Sep 20, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    This is a similar question to one I've had... I ended up with two roosters, and have been wondering if they are fine eating the same layer ration that the girls eat. Hopefully the extra protein won't hurt them!

3. conniesue27

Apr 12, 2010
    atwater ohio
    Quote:Hopefully someone can answer this question for the both of us. [​IMG]

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    That will be fine. The main thing with ducks is to not give them medicated feed. To be honest I can't remember why though. I only have a few ducks and don't feed any of my birds medicated feed so I didn't pay as much attention to that as I probably should have.

If you're really concerned about it you could always switch everyone over to flockraiser or gamebird feed. I feed gamebird because I have a few turkeys (they need higher protien), ducks, and peacocks as well as the chickens. In the spring and summer I usually have chicks on the ground too so I find it easier to feed the gamebird and just put oystershell out freechoice so the laying hens can meet their calcium needs.

The gamebird costs a bit more then layer though so if you just have the ducks and maybe an odd roo or two it probably makes more sense for you to just stick to the layer. The ducks will be just fine with the 20% protien.

5. conniesue27

Apr 12, 2010
    atwater ohio
    Thanks for answering my question....this is what I love about byc someone always has the answers to everyones questions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by