The right shade of blue Orpington?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by fancyfeathers38, Nov 15, 2011.

1. fancyfeathers38

fancyfeathers38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Australia.
    Hi all,
    I have just started breeding Blue Orpingtons to sell, and am a bit confused about what shade of blue they should be.
    I have seen pictures of blue Orps that are more lavender in color and others that range all the way up to the darker shade like mine.
    Is there a set shade for blue?
    Is mine the right one and if not how would you go about lightening/darkening it?
    Here is a pic.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks in advance.[​IMG]

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Generally you want the lighter shade. The standard calls for "slate grey" with a dark outline. That outline is basically the difference in blue and lavender. Lavender doesn't have the outline and the color is the same all over, whereas the blue should have a very definite outline to each feather and the neck feathers are darker. Also all the feathers need to be the same slate color, not lighter on one feather and darker on another. I have a blue like that. Good thing I never planned on showing this batch.

For shows, the lighter blue is what the judges want to see.

Most hatches will have some lighter and some darker blues. Select only the lighter blues to breed and you'll eventually get more and more of the lighter color with each hatch.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  3. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:I don't know the correct answer, BUT... your birds are of a exquisite Dark blue color.. I realy like light light blues like Henk's Platinum blue birds, but I love how Dark yours are too, I think I like extreems...[​IMG]

4. fancyfeathers38

Nov 15, 2011
    Australia.
    Thanks galanie, its clearer now.[​IMG]
    And thanks for your coments nicalandia.[​IMG]

5. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I talked to Tom Kernan who won the BB at our Crossroads in Sumatras with his outstanding Blues. I ask him the exact same question. I am paraphrasing what he said. Tom, said you want the lighter colored Blues cause the lacing when properly developed will be eye popping with that lighter color.
    This is a the reason I kept these 2 Blue hens. It was cause their the lightest and have the correct type I want.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  6. fancyfeathers38

Nov 15, 2011
    Australia.
    Wow, they are beutiful birdsl lildinkum![​IMG]
    Would you acieve this shade if I crossed my blues with lavender orps?
    Does lavender lighten the color?

7. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I am not expert enough to explain it all, but no. They are completely different genes. Crossing a lavender with a blue would result in a mess. You'd get the lighter color faster by simply picking out the lightest from each hatch. You could speed it up if you could find a lighter hen too but that goes without saying. If you put lavender in the mix, you'd dilute your chances of getting what you want rather than raise it.

8. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Quote:BEAUTIFUL HENS!!!!!!!!!!
    Ayda

9. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    How do you think my new roo looks? [​IMG] I just got him a few days ago (with the lovely brahma pullet beside him) Of course I think he is perfect [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I am not too concerned about 'standards' because I'm not showing but it is a good idea to have a at least a limited understanding as I will breed some (probably) I actually want blue australorps (a main reason for my purchase of this roo!)

[​IMG]

10. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    He is only a few months old...not quite sure of exact age, but young.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by