The RIR peanuts are pecking at everyone. Advice needed.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by briana1975, Apr 3, 2009.

1. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Help these packing peanuts they sent are down right mean. I wouldn't order RIR because of this. I did order 3 silkies 4 buff orp's and 5 barred rock. THe RIR are starting to bully all the other chicks. I was hoping to keep them long enough to put them in the freezer for dinners but they are staring to make me mad. My other brooder has turkeys so I can't really seperate them completely. What do you think I should do?

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Can you put a divider in the brooder?

3. briana1975

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    I was thinking about that. I would have to get another water first though. I just ran outside and picked some grass and threw it in with them. It seems to be giving them something to do. I will be putting clean paper towels down shortly so it wont be in ther long though. Boy 24 chicks poop a lot!!! My 2 turkeys poop bigger but not so much.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    LOL...I hear ya. I never though 2 little ducks could poop so much. I can't imagine a whole brooder full of chickens!

5. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

You can just use a bowl for water, just put some big stones in the bottom so it doesn't tip and they don't fall in.

6. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    I just craigs-listed my packing peanuts because the organic farm that was going to take them didn't get back to me. I hear yah, mine push my pullets out of the way and are way aggressive!

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Reason I only have 1 RIR pullet and otherwise are avoiding the breed. Throw a stick or something in there. It kept a really bored batch of bantam chicks from pecking for 2days until I could put them in a bigger brooder. Colored rocks would probably work too. It helps I don't use paper towels after they require cleaning. I lay paper towels over shavings and as soon as they are too dirty just remove them and have chicks on shavings. I can throw dirt clumps, grass, and various objects in the brooder. Edible flowers will keep them entertained for days until the flower wilts or gets too torn up. I used nasturtiums last fall. It's also really funny to watch.

8. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Be careful with what you have with silkies. They have a hole in the top of their skull that if pecked it could cause brain damage/injury.

9. briana1975

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Quote:Wow I did not know this. The silkies seem to be holding there own the Barred rocks are what I am most worried about. The RIR seem to go after them the most.

10. briana1975

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    I put some pine cones and a couple of red toys that can go in dishwasher later. I hope this keeps them busy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by