The Roo Count Rises - so do the breed questions - PICTURES!

HennyJenny

Songster
10 Years
Dec 26, 2009
Bennington, NE
Hatchery Roo Count
4 Silver Gray Dorkings - 1 Roo on purpose
3 Partridge Rocks - 1 Roo
3 Delawares - 1 possible Roo
4 Australorps - 1 Roo
2 Barred Rocks - 1 Roo
4 Silver Penciled Rocks - 1 Roo
3 Buff Orps - 0 Roos
3 Silver Laced Wyandottes - 1 possible Roo

My Hatch Roo Count
2 Black Copper Marans - 1 Roo
5 Barnevelders - 2 Roos
1 Bourbon Red - 1 Tom

TSC Roo Count
3 buff/red colored somethings previously thought to be gold sex link hens all started crowing Sunday - it was a contest
2 black and copper somethings two to three times the size of every other bird in the pen - previously thought to be sex link hens - now in serious doubt but only one has been caught crowing

I need help identifying the TSC birds - the gold ones for breed and the black ones for breed and gender

Picture one - Beautiful Bird - previously thought to be gold-sex link hen - began crowing continually and obnoxiously on Sunday - has white legs but seems to be very golden for a buff orpington

46136_picture_2112.jpg

Picture two - Beautiful Bird - previously thought to be gold-sex link hen - began crowing continually and obnoxiously on Sunday in contest with two other boys that look just like him - also white legs. No picture of the third - he's too d*** fast for my poor photography skills - the chest bumping and hackle raising is vaguely reminiscent of the teenage boys that hang around my house - boy number three put the moves on spinster buff orp Blondie this evening - she did not appreciate the advance - he was put in his place.

46136_picture_2120.jpg

Picture three - Big Gigantic Black - previously thought to be black sex link hen - caught crowing on Saturday - has minimal copper in the hackles - a lot of green sheen to black feathers - he has black legs. He is about three times the size of any other bird in the pen. They are all the same age (about 13 weeks). What is he? He is bigger than my one-year old buff orps by several inches.

46136_picture_2117.jpg

Picture four - Big Gigantic Black - previously thought to be black sex link hen - hasn't been caught crowing yet- but now everyone is under suspicion - lots of copper in the hackles - has black legs - this one is the same size as the one in picture number three. They were purchased together and are just huge huge fast growing birds.

46136_picture_2114.jpg

Pictures 5 and 6 - my Delawares seem different from each other. No one screams rooster - nor have they been caught crowing - but give the hatchery's sexing record on this order - it seems highly likely that one is a roo - what think ye?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Jenny

46136_picture_2118.jpg

46136_picture_2119.jpg

Cynthia, I was hoping you would chime in on my Delawares! I love them. I had no idea Delawares were so curious, sweet, and a little onery. I was basically just "trying out" breeds. Out of my entire hatchery order these are my favorites. I am glad they are not roosters.

Delawares are the most curious, active, "in your face" breeds I've ever had in my life. They really need to free range to keep their energies drained or they can get into trouble, LOL. Super friendly, super active, super layers and intelligent.

Back
Top Bottom