The roo had to go

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crooked stripe, Jun 18, 2008.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I had a 18 week old black australorp roo that took his crowing seriously. It began with a crow here and there. In the past few weeks he crowed all the time. From the time in the morning I let them out of the run he crowed all most constantly. He would crow for a straight 30 minutes and then take a 10 minute break and start all over again. He figured the mating things out and the hens where squawking all the time. I live in a small town in the country and there is no stopping me from having chickens but I know the neighbors had to be shaking their head from all the racket. No one said anything but the peace and quiet was no more. My wife and I enjoyed it when it first started but in the last week it got to be to much. He was given to a friend far away. Quiet has returned and the hens are not running from him anymore. Fertile eggs are not to be had but day old females are cheap and the hatchery is only a 30 minute drive. John

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  2. smpezzi

smpezzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Mid-Michigan
    Sorry he had to go but understandable, good for you for looking out for your girls and neighbors too!

3. mirime

mirime Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    NE Ohio
    hello fellow NE Ohioan!

So, how DID the roo go? Or should I say how did you do in the roo?

Inquiring minds need to know.

4. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    A friend always wanted him because he was a great looking bird. He took him as soon as I called. I couldn't kill it not in my blood. I felt bad with the fight I had getting him in the dog crate. Where at in NE Ohio, any hints? John

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  5. mirime

mirime Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I'm in Oberlin - but I haven't even gotten my chicks yet (they're on order!) I'm SUPER new here!

6. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Suffield here.

7. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I feel so bad. Now that the roo has gone the girls seem lost. They don't roam in a groop and scatter out all over the yard. I now know how important a roo is to a flook. If no roo was ever in the flock would things be different in that a hen would be boss. I am hoping a hen will step up and take the role. Only time will tell. John

8. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Hen's really enjoy the roo's because they find choicy food for them, then cluck until the hen respond's & then drop's the food by her feet. Really cool if you ask me. Roo's are really good to there woman, plus they will protect there hen's from predator's. I once witnessed a hawk fly down after my hen & the roo jumped in the air and dug his spur's in the hawk over & over again. When the hawk finally got free he flew smack into a tree, changed direction's & my roo chased him. Roo's keep a eye out for predator's & are the first to alert the flock. Roo's are up there in my book but I lived in the country & don't neighbor's to disturb. If I did I wouldn't be able to have 17 dog's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by