1. david hunter

david hunter New Egg

Aug 24, 2012
    western pennsylvania
    hi i am building my coop need help on how much roost space and heighth i am new to raising chickens any help is appreciated thanks

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    [​IMG] For roost space, allow 12" per bird for large fowl. I wouldn't make it any higher than 3'. They will roost as high as they can get, but jumping down from a high roost repeatedly, can lead to foot/leg injuries, including bumblefoot.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    About a foot per chicken, or at least 9" or 10", for large fowl. They also need close to a foot clearance on either side. The roost should be somewhat wide as their feet don't curl to the extent many birds' do. A thick branch or the wide side of a 2x4 will work, for example.

4. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    It's best if the roost can be made totally from 2" x 4" pine boards. Our roosts are 4 foot at the highest point. The spacing between the roosts we refer to as the tier is 12 inches. No matter how hard we try to keep the flock at this height we still have a few which will fly up and sit on the roof rafters for the night. The main thing when adding the roost is making sure there is enough clearance so when the chickens fly off they will not hit any facing walls which could injure or kill the birds. Iv'e read too many times where someone goes to their coop in the morning and find a dead bird with a broken neck. Most times this was from the chickens flying into a wall.

1 person likes this.
  5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Good point about the jumping-off clearance, Red Barn! Mine are 3' high, and they will flap and land 6' away from the roost.

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Mine tried this when I first built my new coop too. I took chicken wire and stapled it along the underside of the rafters and that has kept them from getting up there.

7. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    I wish I could do that too. It'll cost a small fortune because my barn is 36' x 42'.

8. Vinniemac

Vinniemac Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Western Pennsylvania
    Its amazing how much I learned from this site I'm building my coop now.Never though they would get up into the rafters.I haven't got to the interior yet but this will be another thing to do. I will be updated with pictures soon
    Vinnie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by