The rooster clucks when the hen lays. Is this normal???

Flock Leader

Songster
7 Years
May 3, 2012
Israel
One of our hens started laying not long ago, and has been providing an egg every day like a clockwork, we're so pleased. Whenever she's laying, one of the roosters (our "Leader Boy", the one whom she normally mates) stands outside the nest and clucks just like a laying hen. Just out of curiousity, is this normal? Anyone else here experienced the same thing?

Totally normal! I actually have a few lead hens that do that to their fellow hens. Roosters are known to do that, sort of "cheering on" the hen in her laying. It's a sign of a sweet rooster, or so I'm told
roll.png

Totally normal! I actually have a few lead hens that do that to their fellow hens. Roosters are known to do that, sort of "cheering on" the hen in her laying. It's a sign of a sweet rooster, or so I'm told
roll.png
I've heard other hens do that, but it's the first time a roo steps in as "cheerleader!" Yes, he's very sweet, we had him from an egg and he's really good-natured.

My "Beg Red" passes in front of the hen house door, (goes inside from time to time) then crows for about 10m minutes when the egg arrives, if he could only pass out cigars.

Back
Top Bottom