The rooster lives

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by happymorrows, Nov 22, 2010.

1. happymorrows

happymorrows Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Morganton, NC
    My Dominique Roo, "the Dom", has had a stay of execution. He is the rooster who has come after me a few times, wing beats on my legs and lunges, but that's because I don't let him get close enough to me to do more than that. The hubby and I got everything ready at 0400, water boiling, knife sharpened, but he got loose from the husband (evidently this roo is NOT docile at 0400), and so we packed it up for a later date. I am now having second thoughts (I am a total pushover/bleeding heart when it comes to animals I raised) and he is on craigslist. I don't really want to keep him, I want a NICE rooster that I don't have to have eyes in the back of my head for, but recently he has been better behaved, that is, he leaves me alone. I have a little girl though and I don't want him to hurt her. I just feel so bad, he is pretty and he does a good job with the ladies. I am giving him 2 weeks on craigslist. After that, I am going to bite the bullet and process him. Sorry for the long rant, and I know I have posted about this before, but it has been weighing heavily on me and I needed to vent.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss, but you don't ever want to chance it with kids. I hope you sell him. Otherwise, soak him in buttermilk and then bake with seasoning to taste at 350 for 3 hours with potatoes.

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

The hardest part for me is before the "kill" and I do it a lot [​IMG] as I like chicken dinners and hatching chicks produces cockerels [​IMG] . When you are getting ready, remember how he has treated you - flogging, spurring, general buttheadedness - and then thank him on his way to the block.

[​IMG] for you, I hope someone takes him.

5. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    If you do have to process, it'll be a lot easier to grab him the night before and stick him in a holding cage. Then you don't have to chase him the first thing in the morning.

I feel guilty too, when the roosters look so harmless sitting in the little cages waiting their turn. [​IMG] I have to remind myself that we can't possibly keep the whole pack, they're a menace! But once the heads are off, it's just a technical problem.

6. happymorrows

happymorrows Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Morganton, NC
    I found a home for The Dom! A very nice fellow is trading an EE roo (which is what I wanted) with a great attitude for him. I fully disclosed The Doms dislike of me. I am glad I waited on culling him, and honestly, he has been a lot better with me lately. He pecked around me today while I was loving on the girls and didn't give me a hard time at all. This guy also knows several breeders in the area, including a lady with lavender orps! I can't wait to meet him!

7. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    Glad you found a home for him.

8. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG] A home and a trade [​IMG]

Please remember to quarantine your new bird - 30 days minimum.

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I thought it was cats that have 9 lives. Wrong again glad it worked out for you.

10. pookiegoldman

pookiegoldman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Grand Isle, Louisiana
    That's wonderful that you got rid of him and got something you wanted for a mean old roo. I tried to give mine away but unfortunately no one bit on craigslist, so I killed them. Not what I wanted to do, but they were pretty tasty [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by