The rooster needs to go!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by joneus, Nov 18, 2011.

1. joneus

joneus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Ballston Spa
    He attacked my 5yo for the last freekin' time this morning. He didnt even have the excuse of feeling threatened this time. My son was just standing next to me tossing mealworms to the hens when out of nowhere, the roo just came up and spurred him (thankfully, they're not developed yet) in the leg. It pains me to get rid of him because I genuinely like(d) him. He's smart, is respectful of _me_ (for now), not terribly noisy, and he treats his girls really well. Still, my sons safety and happiness is more important than some little snot of a rooster who cant be nice to him.

Anyhow- I couldnt find a butcher to take him, so he's going to a local organic farm on Sunday. I get the impression that they're doing me a favor by taking him, but they're "taking care of him" for free since I said I dont want him back. I'm hugely appreciative of this, as I do *not* have it in me to kill him myself.

Now I just need to hold onto my resolve that he is not "fixable" and even if he straightens out a bit, I'll never fully be able to trust him around kids. Therefore, this is what is best for everyone.

... I just sort of wish my husband was around to help me through this. Sunday morning is going to be hard.

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    yup, your rooster has to go. when your rooster is attacking your kids... got to go. not to mention if your rooster attacked a stranger. [​IMG]

3. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    What kind of rooster is he?

4. joneus

Apr 2, 2011
    Ballston Spa
    Quote:Easter Egger.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Always protect your kids from a mean rooster. You didn't do anything wrong, some roosters are just that way.

6. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    [​IMG] I hope you can find him a good home instead of killing him [​IMG]

7. Thespoiledchicken

Thespoiledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Long Island
    Must be done, one day that rooster will do definite harm to someone- he can't be trusted. I had 2 Easter Egger roosters that were downright nasty- still have the scars to prove it [​IMG] I took them both to the vet to be put to sleep, didn't have the heart to do it myself since I hatched them and loved them. Stay strong for your son's sake [​IMG]

Trish

8. joneus

Apr 2, 2011
    Ballston Spa
    Quote:I dunno- 3 of the 4 Roos from that hatch turned mean. I never fussed over them (beyond being a treat-machine for the whole flock) or tried to make cuddly pets out of them, but I'm beginning to think that I had to have done *something* wrong for them to all go mean like that.

9. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    I'm getting more used to the idea of eating my chickens (never thought that would happen) I do know which will likely be the first to be tasted. [​IMG] At least mine will have a good life unlike those in the factory farms (a primary reason I go vegetarian often)

10. joneus

Apr 2, 2011
    Ballston Spa
    Quote:That's a good way of looking at it. At the very least, we know our chickens will have a good life before they wind up on the table. My boys definitely had a good life!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by