The Rooster Squad

chickenlittle21

There's a piggy in the pasture
Aug 22, 2019
Martin county, Florida
In coop #3 I have 3 cockerels, 2 polish hens, and 16 pullets, about half the pullets laying. The three cockerels are a black australorp named Thunder, an Easter egger named Lightning, and a silver laced wyandotte named Diesel. They are around 18 weeks old. They walk together in a "gang". The problem is they over mate, chase, and scare the females, especially the polish hens. Also, when one of the cockerels mates with a pullet or hen another one of the cockerels has to mate with that hen, too. Also, Thunder sometimes guards the door of the coop and mates with any hen or pullet that tries to go in or out. What should I do?

Your poor hens. They sound pretty miserable. Pick the best roo to keep with them, and get rid of the others. They're not going to stop the behavior. They say they outgrow it but I had a few that never did so.

Your poor hens. They sound pretty miserable. Pick the best roo to keep with them, and get rid of the others. They're not going to stop the behavior. They say they outgrow it but I had a few that never did so.
I don't want to get rid of my roosters, though. They're my pets and I don't want to give them away. My favorite rooster is Thunder, but hes the one who over mates the most.

Sounds like normal behavior for young males. That does not make it acceptable. They could injure the pullets or even keep them from eating or drinking. Separate the males to give the pullets a break, and decide what you want to do with them. If you cannot part with them then it is time to build a bachelor coop and run.

Sounds like normal behavior for young males. That does not make it acceptable. They could injure the pullets or even keep them from eating or drinking. Separate the males to give the pullets a break, and decide what you want to do with them. If you cannot part with them then it is time to build a bachelor coop and run.
I don't have any space to make a batchelor coop for them. I could free range them, but my dad's worried that they might be come aggressive to humans and just try to get back to the hens all day.

Back
Top Bottom