The Rooster Whisperer

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by birdsofparadise, Mar 4, 2009.

1. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Can chickens sense fear? My neighbors are terrorized by their 12 lb Jersey Giant roo that free-ranges around their property. Its so bad, they named him "Rush" since he is always charging them.

My wife is being excluded from our chicken yard by a 5 lb Silver Spangled Hamburg. Even when she throws scratch in ahead of her, he stops her from getting in.

I have no problem with either of these birds. Rush never confronts me and will slink away when I stare at him and ask him what he thinks heʻs doing. Our Hamburg is such a sweety that he sits in my lap and lets me pet him while hand feeding him treats. Never even a nipped finger.

I donʻt get it. No one has ever abused these birds, let alone my wife or neighbors. Why do I get a pass while they get stymied. Any ideas?

2. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    You are confident and exude dominance!!

Your wife and the nieghbors are afraid of the roos and THEY KNOW IT!!!

I would love to be in North Kohala today!!!

Good Luck!!

3. birdsofparadise

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    To meet me, the chickens, or enjoy the weather?

Actually I thought it might be pheremones (sp) or something on a hormonal level, but the neighborʻs husband gets pushed around by his roo and ends up having to defend himself with a broom at times.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  4. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    I agree on every thing California Chick says.

5. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Quote:OOOO!! Choices, Choices!!

Well, I know what the weather is like in North Kohala [​IMG], but I don't know what kind of chickens you have and I haven't seen a picture of you!!! [​IMG]

To help your wife and neighbors, look up Rooster-Red's info on confronting difficult Roos. Go to:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2588-Roo_behavior

Good Luck!!

Cindy

6. birdsofparadise

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Thanks for the link. I heard about the "hold upside down by legs" treatment but I never tried it. I guess I instinctively knew it could be dangerous. The one solution not mentioned is "chicken cacciatore" which I guess would be my #2 choice after the carrying technique.

Currently I have one wife, 10 ameraucana hens and two roos (a silver spangled hamburg and an ameraucana). The hamburg was a rescue when we thought that we had lost our roo to a feral cat attack.

As for the weather right now its a lot like SF in the summer. 75 days, 60 nights, but cool and rainy most of the time. The trades are shifting right now and we are all looking forward to Spring even here in Paradise.

The rooster psychology thing is especially important right now because Iʻve started to branch into oriental games. Over the next six weeks I have shamo, malay, thai & aseel chicks coming. Most will be for re-sale to local japanese and chinese farmers but I want to start a core breeding flock. Luckily, I have 3 acres to play with, but it looks as if Iʻm going to be putting in a lot of new chicken yards to keep them apart.

7. chickenlove2009

chickenlove2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Woodlawn, Tn
    Quote:if you wait until your new babies are old enough to defend themselves, make sure there is enough hens and space for them all the roosters will first establish dominance and then they should be fine. [​IMG]

I have had upto five roosters at once (daddy and 4 sons), with 10 hens. after the daddy stood his ground the boys knew where they stood with him. they had already established a pecking order within themselves cause they grew up together. (had to get rid of them for obvious reasons) [​IMG]

I have recently had three roos for 6 hen and the older stood his ground and the two younger (adopted brothers) acted like siblings. a couple of small fights, and they would venture out into the woods when they tire of the old roo keeping them in-line. [​IMG]

Sadly though one of the brothers protected the others (yes, even the old roo(he is a wimp)) with his life. [​IMG]

8. chickenlove2009

chickenlove2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Woodlawn, Tn
    suggestion: (it worked for my sister)

have you and your wife go outside (you stay a ways back( your just to watch [​IMG] )) have her enter the chicken area like normal. tell her to pretend he is not there and ignore him. He will probably, try to attack her but then should give up.

p.s. make sure she wears jeans he might try pecking (mine never did but you never know.)

and the hold upside down thing does work. its a type of surrender pose and it makes them stop swuirming and such. (i do it all the time to my chickens, especially when they get out when their not suppose too [​IMG])

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by