The roosters are crowing now...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by EggsForIHOP, Jun 26, 2010.

1. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    But I realized today that i am still calling them 'the chicks'! When does one FINALLY give up and accept they have grown? How many eggs does it take? Because I had my husband so confused this morning it was pitiful. I was talking about what to feed which birds and he said flat out "how many eggs do you need to get before they turn into chickens?" (we haven't had any eggs yet btw...they aren't even 3 months old yet, just LOTS of crowing). He seems to think my inability to refer to them as hens/roos/chickens is some sort of chicken insider info I guess based upon number of eggs laid...

So...How many eggs does it take? Does anyone else do this? Or have I lost it finally?

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Uhh you've lost it... Chickens are all of the above ,i.e. chicks , pullets, roosters, cockerels etc.... I usually call mine chicks until the ugly teen stage , then they are teens until they start laying....

3. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    I call mine babies. Right now I have 12 week old babies and I have 2 week old quail that are babies. My DH is already confused which I am talking about when I say I have to check on the babies.

Wait 2 weeks then I'll have new hatched chick babies then the older chick babies will be Pullets and Cockerals. Until the pullets start laying, even 1 egg, then they will be considered my yearling hens and my young Roo. And yes they are now crowing every morning until I let them out. They learn so fast.

4. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Quote:I think I have too! I don't do this with everything - just a select few animals are 'babies' that haven't grown in my mind I guess. I get all the technical names, fully comprehend when and what stages you reach to start using them, I was more curious if anyone else looks in their coop and sees the little fluff balls from the brooder still even though what they have is some cackling hens and crowing roos. I told my husband I wasn't alone in this, but I probably have lost it I think...just a little...

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, in order to communicate what's going on in my Poultry Compound, I have taken to referring to Bigs, Middles, Littles, and Youngsters.

9 Bigs: 8 months to 1 yr old, layers and roo.
    4 Middles: 16 or 17 week olds, all pullets, 3 large fowl and 1 bantam
    4 Littles: 12 week olds, all bantam breeds, 3 of 'em roos and crowing
    4 Youngsters: 7.5 weeks old, due to come out of the brooder this week, 2 bantams, 2 large fowl

Oh, and The Ducks: a pair of Cayugas.

And then there's my brand new GrandChick, hatched under broody Buffy just yesterday.

6. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    I don't remember when I referred to mine as "the chickens" maybe 3 months? or when they looked more like chickens/filled out. I have bantams now at 3 months and still call them chicks [​IMG] they are just so tiny...[​IMG] 2 silkies and a mutt, the mutt is a roo, has nice big wattles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by