1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The roosters I processed ALL had crop/gizzard problems!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by DianeS, Nov 23, 2010.

1. DianeS

DianeS Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    I got four free roosters from someone (from Craigslist) yesterday.

They ALL had crop or gizzard problems! All four. And NO that wasn't revealed when I picked them up. I knew their crops were stuffed, they were huge and hard, but since the birds were so skinny I figured the owner had just thrown them a bunch of corn to raise their weight before listing them.

But no.
    After butchering them one was found to have no grit in his gizzard. His intestines were empty, the food in his gizzard was still whole. Poor thing.
    Two more had impacted crops. Feathers, clumps of grass, things like that preventing much food from moving into the gizzard. Looks like some was moving through, but not a lot. One had corn and seeds in his throat almost all the way to his mouth.
    And the last had something like sour crop. By this point I was opening all the gizzards and crops to see what was in them, and this one's crop was full of what looked and smelled like chicken poop. Gross! Stunk up the whole room.

So I have four roosters totaling maybe 15 lbs - meat and bones combined - in my refrigerator. At least I didn't pay for them. And the feathers on one were downright gorgeous. I'll wash and package them and offer them for sale. That might make up for the work we did in prepping such poor amounts of meat.

And the person is selling out their whole flock (the person getting the hens already picked them up) or I'd report this to the authorities. The birds were literally starving to death. But they're getting out of chickens entirely. "It wasn't worth it" they said. Wonder why. Grrrr...

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Very sad

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Makes you wonder about why they were free, and what the rest of the previous owners' chickens are going through. . .

4. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Poor guys [​IMG]

5. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    at least you were able to offer them a humane end to their (now obvious) suffering...

what a sad situation though

6. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Starvation doesn't seem to be as obvious in chickens as it is in other animals. If you starve a horse, it is obvious, but if a chicken only has trash to eat, it just doesn't show up through the feathers. Poor boys.

My belief is that there is special punishment for anyone who abuses or neglects animals or children.

7. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:hence the "now obvious"... as in it wasn't before when they were alive, but now that they are dead and processed it is

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It may not have been a case of deliberate cruelty. I like to think the best of people, so I think it may have been more of a case of ignorance. If they have not raised chickens before and didn't know about places like BYC, they simply may not have known better.

Glad you were able to put those birds out of their misery. Sorry you didn't get more for your troubles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by