The Run is 95% Done

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RedDrgn, Aug 1, 2011.

1. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Everything but installing the electric fence components is finally finished (we started in May)! At last! We bought the coop from Green Chicken Coop, though we did add the extra ventilation (round holes) ourselves. Everything else my DH and I did on our own...what a learning experience and a heck of a lot of time and work! Well worth it, though, and quite satisfying to stand back and just look at for the moment. [​IMG] The chicks will be ready to move in on a permanent basis in about a week or so, though they are getting to make daily visits at this point.

I don't care if I EVER have to touch another piece of hardware cloth ever again! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    That's really pretty! (I'm afraid you'll have poop on your house though......) But I LOVE IT!

3. RedDrgn

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Quote:Thanks! We understood that risk and are prepared to deal with it accordingly. [​IMG]

4. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Quote:Hey, nothing makes chicken poop look better than a pretty house sitting next to it. Congratualtions! It looks adorable. You did a great job blending it into your yard. I'm sure your little ones will be very happy with it. [​IMG]

5. Rachy

Rachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    UK
    It's absolutely lovely and blends in with your house so well. Time well spent I think!!![​IMG]

6. RedDrgn

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Quote:Hey, nothing makes chicken poop look better than a pretty house sitting next to it. Congratualtions! It looks adorable. You did a great job blending it into your yard. I'm sure your little ones will be very happy with it. [​IMG]

LOL, thanks! The whole thing turned out as it did because that particular location is, literally, good for nothing. With the porch above (which is roofed), the area is constantly dust-bowl dry. The cone flowers are the limit of the rain's and snow's reach in all but the absolute worst storms. It was just never worth watering and trying to keep vegetated since we run off of well water and the rain barrels we reserve for the veggie garden. Plus, the winds come from the opposite side of the house, which shelters the whole area and full sun is limited to the yard side of the run from dawn through noon (partial tapering to full shade through the afternoon, excluding winter time when the leaves are off of the trees). It just seemed a logical place to put chickens (and the concrete is easy to clean when they're aim and scratching get a little wild). [​IMG]

Quote:Thank you! We certainly learned a lot from doing it! I'm sure there will be soooo much more as our chickens grow up and take up residence. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by