1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

The run is almost finished!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by shopchicks, May 31, 2010.

1. shopchicks

shopchicks Songster

Sep 4, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    Someday I will relax on a weekend instead of busting my hiney on projects! [​IMG]

Anyway, of course I had to run out and get chickens as soon as the coop itself was inhabitable, so since then I've been working hard to get the run set up so the girls can come and go all day. Last week they were only able to go out for a few hours when I got home from work. This weekend, I got the hardware cloth on the lower section, made a 5 gal nipple waterer and 5 gallon hanging feeder, and got the "roof" framing up and stapled on the welded wire. Good thing, as DH spotted a VERY LARGE hawk or eagle of some sort up in the tree above the run the other night, scoping out the chickens.

All I have left is to put down the wire apron, finish painting, and put a better latch on the screen door. Phew!

[​IMG]

Feeder (there is a lid for that bucket, just can't find it ATM):
    [​IMG]

Waterer:
    [​IMG]

Front of the run:
    [​IMG]

2. crzychickenlady

crzychickenlady Songster

Jan 31, 2007
    Very nice!
    Can you elaborate on that waterer? It looks pretty efficient and would surely stay clean!

3. shopchicks

shopchicks Songster

Sep 4, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    Yes, it is just a 5-gallon bucket hung up with 2 poultry nipples screwed into the bottom. You'll also want 1-2 very small holes drilled near the top of the bucket to allow air in so a vacuum is not created.

QC Supply seems to be the cheapest place to order the poultry nipples. Cost about $6 to make - cheaper if you have a spare bucket laying around.

I hung it up yesterday afternoon and the girls were already drinking from it like pros today with no coaxing from me.

4. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Songster

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    [​IMG] That is a really nice looking coop and run.
    Also, is that a faverolle in the picture with the feeder?

5. shopchicks

shopchicks Songster

Sep 4, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    Thanks, and yes, that is my little Faverolle, Daisy. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  6. nvmycj

nvmycj In the Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    Quote:Shopchicks: How do you train the chickens to use the nipples from the buckets? Do you have one in the coop?

THANKS!

7. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Songster

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Your Daisy is beautiful! I just incubated some Faverolles this spring which is a new breed for me. I just love them. I wish I had known about them years ago. Mine are just starting to get their muffs in and they look so goofy.

8. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Songster

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    That is a really nice looking coop and run! [​IMG]

9. shopchicks

shopchicks Songster

Sep 4, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    Quote:Shopchicks: How do you train the chickens to use the nipples from the buckets? Do you have one in the coop?

THANKS!

No, I just set it up out there and they figured it out. If I put one in the coop, I would use a much smaller bucket.

10. Carpe DiHen

Carpe DiHen Songster

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    Nice set up! Very pretty! We just finished our coop this weekend. Last minute details...trim etc. I was a lot of work and we bought our coop!
    Pretty birds too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by