The Run

Chick2chicken

Songster
6 Years
Mar 19, 2017
Canada
Hi!
I'm going to be putting some new material down in my run.
I was wondering what was the best material to use when you get a lot of rain but also that the chickens like.
Thinking sand?
thanks

The run is around 40 square feet and yes it is covered. But we do get a lot of rain and sometimes the wind blow it into the run and it gets muddy but has never flooded.
Thanks for the help!

Use Sand. Really deep. The chickens will scratch and throw it out of the run. I go in during the summer and use a potato fork if it gets compacted down to turn it over and you wouldn't believe the fish worms in it. Sand lets the droppings, rain filter out. I have had my sand in for about 6 years at least 6" deep. Had a cement truck deliver a load of sand out and he used his chute to put it in the run.

The run is around 40 square feet and yes it is covered. But we do get a lot of rain and sometimes the wind blow it into the run and it gets muddy but has never flooded.
Thanks for the help!
Post pic of run.....and add your location to your profile.
Sand really only works well in arid climates....I'd go with deep litter.

Agreed with Aart. IMO, DLM is best for almost all applications. My limited exposure to sand is this: You might like it for a while. But, it requires constant maintenance: raking poo out of it on a regular, if not daily basis. Even daily raking will not remove all feces. There will be particles that sift down into the sand. when the sand gets wet, that will further enable the poo to mix in with the sand. Eventually, you will have a fecal laden mix that will reek every time it gets damp. In dry windy conditions, the fecal dust will disperse into the surrounding air.

If the area where your coop and run are is prone to standing water, that MUST be dealt with. A wet chicken yard is an invitation to coccidiosis, internal parasites and other disease. cover the run, add gutters, drainage tile, pea stone, drainage ditches to direct water away from the area.

Sand works great in my run. Noi smell no mess. I scoop the poop with a large kitty litter scoop. I also had one ton of sand delivered and put right I to my run. I use a garden rake to mix up the sand about once a month. The girls love scrtatching around and even dust bathe in it. Never wet or stinky. I'm in Ohio so it certainly isn't arid here.

Back
Top Bottom