The run

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 688peterl, Nov 21, 2009.

1. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    here is the run that they will only be in at night, when they go in it (after christmas) im gonna have sand on top of gravel on the wooden floor

[​IMG]

and here are the ducks, they are 16 days old and yesterday i changed their bedding to shavings, before this i was using old sheets but they were too hard to clean and didnt absorb anything so they had to be changed. they dont move about on the shavings as much as they did on the sheets but they seem ok with them, do they look ok? and what else can i use, maybe some hay in the sleeping section??

[​IMG]

2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

That's a great night pen setup you have for them! I suggest putting lino over the wood before laying the other materials down. You don't want the wood to absorb their stink [​IMG] You're little ones look great! It may take them a bit to get use to the knew bedding, but they will.

3. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    ibought cheapy tile from an outlet store, the kind you peel and stick on.... i put that down on the wood floor first to help keep poop from seeping into the wood and smelling... you can also polyurethane it instead...

4. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    louis, the one with black on his bill has behaving a bit strange, like he doesnt want to walk, he can walk and run just fine, but sometimes he tries to walk with his feet curled, or just doesnt seem to want to walk at all, ive checked his feet and they look fine, and i had him out of the brooder before and i was throwing cheerios to other side of the room and he was zooming towards them faster than the speed of light lol so there is nothing wrong with him but why is he doing that maybe he is just lazy

5. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    here they are eating shredded wheat with the dog who doesnt normally like shredded wheat he probs just wanted it coz they had it lol

[​IMG]

6. DuckMamaorBust

DuckMamaorBust Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    Westford, MA
    Your set-up looks great. Is there a place for moisture to go to? Is it sloped or something so rain coming from the top can escape? Otherwise, it looks perfect to my inexperienced eyes.

I love the pic of the ducks & the dog.

Well done!

7. neverbdone

neverbdone Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Lake Isabella, CA
    Beautiful Lab - and the cutest duckies, are they runners? Sorry, I'm new to the ducky thing and I have humugus Muscovys.

8. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:yeah they are runners

9. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

One of my runners, Choopiter, use to always want to lay down. She'd run and walk just fine, but then just plop herself down. Everyone else would be standing at the water or the food, but not her. As soon as she was near where she wanted to be, down she'd go. I also worried about her. In our case, she ended up just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by