The runt is acting a bit weird

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Wxguru, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Wxguru

Wxguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    ARKANSAS
    Got my small flock of 6 today. After a 48hr box journey, they all seemed ok when we got home. I could immediately tell which one was the "runt"....one of the australorps....that we have named Rosemary. I always pull for the underdog.
    This evening she is sleeping ALOT more than the others. Almost constantly. She is eating and I think getting water and pooping. No pasty butt...I checked for that. If I pick her up she perks up, but within a couple of minutes she settles back down to sleep. Should I be concerned?
    None of them are staying under the light, and all is pretty quiet. They seem happy and healthy...no huddling close, they just like to sleep close together. They have warm areas, and some nice somewhat cooler areas....so all should be good in that arena. Thoughts or suggestions?
    Water does have a electrolyte solution designed for new chicks....so she is getting the right nutrition and hydration out of it.

2. Thejperez

Thejperez Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    Florida
    She's probably trying to save up energy, Like most baby animals, but sense Rosemary is smaller Than the rest she's probably trying to take a brake before she starts perking up. Other than that I wouldn't know :confused:

3. Wxguru

Wxguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    ARKANSAS
    Thanks! I hope that is it. She made it thru the night, and was up this morning when I went out. These must be the most content chicks ever....they were "peeping" up a storm when I picked them up yesterday, and for the first hour or so, and by time I came home from work, they were very quiet. Quiet overnight, and when I went out this morning to the garage, they were all up and about just walking around and eating....not making a sound really. Very good start I think.
    The runt did have a watery poop this morning with a streak of white and that was it....anyone know what that might indicate? Is that diarrhea?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by