The runt of the litter (clutch) (new duck owner)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Reba24, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Reba24

Reba24 Just Hatched

Jun 29, 2016
    Upstate NY
    Hi so I have five ducklings and they are maybe a little over a month old, they are growing nicely and its only day 2 of them in their new home. One of them is the runt, he/she is a little guy and I notice while the others are eating, quacking, and swimming in their water dish the little one is just sleeping in the house we have in their coop. Is this normal? Should I keep tabs on him so he doesn't become malnourished?

2. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    How long has this been going on?

3. Reba24

Reba24 Just Hatched

Jun 29, 2016
    Upstate NY
    Not very long, and I could just be overreacting, I'm just really new to duck owning and want to make sure that they are all healthy and happy

4. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Less than a week?
    You need to seperate him immediately. He sounds sick. Provide him with feed and water and keep him quarantined until
    a) he gets better, then reintegrate him to the flock
    b) he gets worse, call a vet for ducks
    c) he remains the same, decide to cull him or call a vet

5. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Make sure you check for signs of sickness. When seperated watch him and the rest of the flockfor diarhea, bloody stool, discharge, runny eyes, breathing problems, ratty feathers, self mutilation, clogged nares, bad smells, listlessness, refusal to eat or drink, etc.

6. HannahDuckLover

HannahDuckLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2015
    By the jungle
    That's not normal, even for a runt. Definitely quarantine him. If you don't have a second pen, a dog kennel or something similar will work.

Has he been eating/drinking at all? Is it possible that the other ducklings are preventing the runt's access to food and water? It still sounds like sickness, not rejection, but it might be a possibility.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by