The sad story that made me get something I thought I would never get!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chicken Charlotte, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Hello guys.....

Theres a dog that lives in our neighborhood and so far it had killed 3 of my chickens now it came back [​IMG] And took 2 more my new purebred Astralorp and my favorite of them all Speckles the other 3 I mentioned were her sisters and brother. I was calling out to her and I saw a limping ball of fluff I ran up to her and boy was she glad to see me! She had broken skin and torn ligament in her leg [​IMG] I really wanted her to survive so I cared for her nursed her and did everything! And she SURVIVED I was very proud of my self when she did! Her leg is FINE no pain everything is back to normal but I do miss my others.

ANd since we moved the others [​IMG] I get 2 DUCKS to keep me going around the house I still own the others but they just don't come around the house. And before I get them we are getting a nice dog trap it wont the dog in other words! I still miss Charlie, Muffin, Rosie and Persilla though [​IMG]

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Yikes. do you know who owns it? i'd call animal control. Sorry about the ones you lost.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  3. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Quote:Thanks, yes we do but when we rang them they went off at us and said we have no proof, when I saw the chicken in the dogs mouth! And the first time we rang up the girl said they only had 1 dog and then we went up there before the father went off at us and they had like 16 dogs running round!(truthfully) And plus we don't have proof on this one but that dog is not DE-SEXED and our little poodle got pregnant and nearly died a couple of years ago. And the puppy's had the same boxer looking head as him!

4. ducks_rcool329

ducks_rcool329 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Black Forest, Colorado
    I would defenetly call animal control. I doubt 16 dogs, or even 10 is legal. So sorry to hear about your loss. [​IMG]

5. Aglaboost

Aglaboost Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    Ugh people are ridiculolus sometimes.

Hopefully you have better luck with your ducks.

I've had problems with dogs killing my chickens in the past, however, they pay no attention to the ducks whatsoever. Hopefully that'll be the case with yours!

6. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Quote:Dogs that kill chickens will most definitely kill ducks also. I own a chicken killer puppy ( we rectified where the chickens are kept, etc) and he is obsessed with my Muscovy ducks. When we got new ducklings he found one that had escaped in the dark and killed it.

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Quote:Thanks, yes we do but when we rang them they went off at us and said we have no proof, when I saw the chicken in the dogs mouth! And the first time we rang up the girl said they only had 1 dog and then we went up there before the father went off at us and they had like 16 dogs running round!(truthfully) And plus we don't have proof on this one but that dog is not DE-SEXED and our little poodle got pregnant and nearly died a couple of years ago. And the puppy's had the same boxer looking head as him!

I'd contact animal control. Most areas have by-laws against roaming dogs. I'm a dog owner myself and realize dogs can get loose but this sounds like there letting them wander.. and obviously causing significant problems in the neighbourhood, i doubt that is legal.

8. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Yes, this has to be dealt with because I suspect that this dog might not only be bothering your birds, but maybe other people's birds, too. I would, at least, call animal control. And, also, take measures to keep him out of your yard and property. He will go after your ducks, too and any other animal you have in the yard that he can overpower.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by