The saddest day so far with chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Billyj, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Billyj

Billyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Gaffney SC
    Today was the worst day ever for me. I started with 7 chickens about two years ago. Over the course of the 2 years my flock grew and shrank (gave or sold) of up to 40 chickens. About a month ago, I hatched out 15 babies. Today I buried my last chicken. I am sooooo sad. I have no idea what killed them. All of them. I have no chickens left. I am so heart broken I am not sure when I will get more. I went from 20 last week to none this morning. I think it was a racoon or possom due to the fact that on many, just the head was gone. However, some were eaten and the carcas was left. My neighbor said he has seen a fox, so I am sure he got some as well because they were completely gone. The sad thing is that today, I was going to refortify my coop for the remaining ones I had. I had already checked for entry holes (found none) as well as put up electric wire around my pen. all I have now are memories, pictures and feathers I picked up out of the year. The worst part is, that some were found outside the pen dead. I am just at a lost for words. After I had my cry this morning, I downsized my pen I had built due to the fact that I just could not bear the sight of the big pen. On top of that, I put my hand on 2 rusty nails and bled for about 10 mins. I am sure a tetnis(sp) shot is now on it's way. These were my babies. I had wanted chickens for so long and finaly got some. I don't know how long it will be before I get more. I guess I will live with chickens through the wonderful stories on here. So keep with the fun and wonderful stories. I need them right now. All my best.

Lost without my chickens

2. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I'm so sorry. ((hug))

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    aww nuts! Im so sorry--- Im sure after you get the coop and pen completely secure the urge to get new babies will come-and then when you are ready you need to get mre:)

4. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I'm sorry for your loss.

5. 88heather

88heather Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Black Forest, CO
    Oh so sorry![​IMG]

6. ruby

ruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    Now is the time to dry your tears, work on your coop, then shop for fuzzy butts. It was always sad when my girls were lost to weasels, to wild pigs, a fox or two or not knowing what got them. That is a part of what we do and why we do it. I lost one of my long time girls two or three weeks ago. Get back on the horse so to speak, spring is just around the corner in our world. Choose your favorite breed or pick a new one. Ideal and McMurry both had specials going on this week. So sorry about your loss, rebuild, renew....

7. Sandy16

Sandy16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Atlanta
    so sorry for your loss. maybe someday you'll want to try raising chickens again. Hugs to you. [​IMG]

8. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I can't imagine what it would be like to lose all of my birds at one time like you did. I hope you can find it within yourself to start over. I think that if you fortified your coop, starting over would be very good in helping you get over the loss of your other birds. Keep your chin up...we are all with you in spirit.

9. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    There's definitely a bit of a dark side to raising chickens. It's a fairly complex operation for a hen to kick an egg out a day and then there's us getting between them and the rest of the food chain(s). It sounds like you've been doing really good and that everything was going well until this morning. It's a lot of work and a lot of upset raising them. Yes, make sure you keep up on your tetanus. Maybe someone locally you can find to give or sell you some chicks or fertile eggs?

10. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    That is just too sad!! I am so sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by