The Saga of a Broody Bantie.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Delmara, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Delmara

Delmara Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2016
    Wills Point, TX
    I lost my roster on the 9th; my father just found him on the floor of the coop one night, no signs of a struggle or anything.
    Fast forward to two or three days ago when my little black banty, Lobelia, suddenly went broody for the first time. The first of all my chickens actually, but moving on. After not seeing her off her nest for a few days, I looked up what info I could and decided to lift her off the nest to make her stretch her legs and eat something.[​IMG]
    She'd taken over the nest that all of my babies use so I was expecting a few of the other ladies' eggs to be under her. Imagine my surprise when I lifted her up and saw this:
    [​IMG]
    My little banty, hardly more than six months old, is sitting on 15 eggs!!! Great merciful heavens, there's more eggs than chicken in that nest!
    When I get home from work tonight, I'm going to go candle them. Everybody say a little prayer that at least some of them are actually fertilized and growing under her.

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    You need to mark the eggs and remove the fresh ones every day so you don't get a staggered hatch. Let me know what you see! Hoping all goes well. [​IMG]

3. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    And you also might want to remove some of the eggs that look more fresh. Too many eggs for a small hen and you might lose most if not all of them. I learned that the hard way....

4. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Wow. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by