1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The saga of Helen the rooster continues

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kneiley1, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Kneiley1

Kneiley1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2014
    After finding out that one of our darling hens was in fact a rooster, we waited to see if we could keep him. He has a flock of three and all seemed to be going well until the last few weeks (he is now 18 weeks old). My 5 and 8 year old are starting to get fearful of him as he randomly turns and aggressively approaches them, sometimes pecking them painfully. He has even tried it with me a time or two although I backed him up twice so think that won't happen again!

My big question is this, how will his flock react? My three hens are 5 weeks younger so only 13 or so. Is there anything I should do to prepare them? Helen goes to the new home on Sunday. Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions you might have!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The pullets will be fine without him. You are doing the right thing in relocating him. The potential for injury especially with the kids, from an aggressive rooster is significant.

3. farm316

farm316 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Agressive roosters are a big threat to your hens, relocating him is awesome, Do you want another rooster>?

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X3

6. Kneiley1

Kneiley1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2014
    No thanks! Gonna stick with the hens!

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    X4

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You can't really do anything to prepare the pullets. Chickens, being prey animals, are used to a flock member just disappearing from time to time, that's why the social structure is always fluid. There may be some unrest in the flock for a few days, but it will sort itself out.

9. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Does the place you are rehoming him to know about his aggression?! Good to get rid of him, but do it honestly. I wouldn't want an aggressive rooster given to me or around. The hens will be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by